Determining the size of solute

• Thread starter bhaazee
  • Start date
In summary, an ionic solution has an effective mesh size that is finer than the physical mesh size, and in aqueous solutions the "size" of any particular molecule or ion is often quite different from the size that you might infer from the van der Waals radii.
bhaazee
In reverse osmosis of salt water, the mesh size in filter determines the size of particles dissolved in the solution than can pass through. Here does the size of particles refer to molecular size? If so, how can I possibly determine the size of say Eg. NaCl dissolved in water.

I have been searching in google for access to molecular size of various chemicals. Are there any links or sources where I can get access to molecular size of various solutes. Would be grateful for any such links or other possible suggestions.

Regards

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Firstly, in the reverse osmosis of salt water, an ionic solution, there is an effective mesh size that is much finer than the physical mesh size, because what stops ionic material from passing the filter is the electrostatic repulsion between the surface charge due to adsorbed ions on the mesh, and the counter-ions in the solution.

Secondly, in aqueous solutions the "size" of any particular molecule or ion is often quite different from the size that you might infer from the van der Waals radii if its atoms. Water is a polar solvent that "solvates" things very strongly. When a molecule (or ion) of any sort moves in water, it usually takes with it at least a single layer, and often more than a single layer, of adsorbed water molecules with it. There is a recognised "surface of shear" which usually amounts to roughly 1 layer of water molecules all around the solute molecule or ion -- sometimes more, sometimes less.

Check out terms like "salvation" "solvation shell" "surface of shear" in Google or similar.

Thanks for the reply. Just going through the topics.

btw, I have yet another doubt (may be childish). Just curious. I have been reading that RO membranes can purify water even free of virus and bacteria (hope so!). my doubt is, if that is the case can the RO membrane separate any salt that can be dissolved in the water?

Regards

1. How is the size of a solute determined?

The size of a solute can be determined through various methods such as molecular weight measurement, size exclusion chromatography, and dynamic light scattering.

2. What is the significance of determining the size of a solute?

Determining the size of a solute is important for understanding its physical and chemical properties, as well as its behavior in solution. This information can also aid in the development and optimization of industrial processes and pharmaceutical formulations.

3. Can the size of a solute change in different solutions?

Yes, the size of a solute can vary depending on the solvent it is dissolved in. This is due to differences in intermolecular forces between the solute and solvent molecules.

4. How does temperature affect the size of a solute?

The size of a solute can be affected by temperature due to changes in molecular motion and intermolecular interactions. In general, solutes tend to increase in size at higher temperatures due to increased molecular motion and expansion of the solvent.

5. Are there any limitations to the methods used for determining the size of a solute?

Yes, some methods may have limitations depending on the properties of the solute, such as solubility, stability, or sensitivity to certain conditions. It is important to choose the appropriate method based on the specific characteristics of the solute being studied.