Circuit Analysis of a Positive Offset Clamping Diode Circuit

In summary, the circuit shown is a clamper circuit with a 20 Vpp triangle wave input and a CVD model diode with VON = 0.7 V. The waveforms for capacitor voltage VC, output voltage Vo, and diode voltage Vd were plotted using PSPICE simulation. At t = 0-, the circuit was assumed to be in DC steady state with Vc at -2V and Vo at 2V. When the input is at its negative peak, the diode is on and the capacitor is charged to V = 21.3V. When the input is at its positive peak, the diode is off and the capacitor remains at 21.3V. The output voltage is cl
stn0091

Homework Statement

Plot the waveforms for capacitor voltage VC, output voltage Vo, and diode voltage Vd given that Vs is a 20 Vpp triangle wave with period T. Use CVD model with diode VON = 0.7 V.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52143&stc=1&d=1350797087.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=52141&stc=1&d=1350795563.jpg

Homework Equations

KVLs?

The Attempt at a Solution

From my basic understanding of a clamper, I can see that the output is offset by +2 V. Thus Vo begins at +2v, Vc begins at -2V, and the diode voltage begins at 0V and heads towards -10V (off, reverse bias).

However, I can't manage to show this analytically.

KVL around the left side gives:
Vs - Vc + Vd - 2V = 0

At the same time, I know that Vo + Vd - 2 = 0.

I can't really solve anything with just these two equations though.

I can say that Vs - Vc = Vo, but these equations just take me in circles.

Again, I understand that Vo starts at 2V and rises in step with Vs. With that said, Vo = 12 V at when Vs reaches its first 10V peak. At T/2 when the input becomes negative, the diode turns on and the capacitor can start charging. With the diode on, output Vo is clamped to 2V - 0.7V = 1.3V. The 0.7V is the diode drop from the CVD model.

It stays on until 3T/4. By that point, the capacitor has charged to -11.3V. From 3T/4 onwards, diode remains off. Capacitor has no discharge path and remains at -11.3V. At the second 10V peak, Vo is 21.3V.

I just don't know how to show ANY of that with work, which doesn't earn me any points when I have to analyze this on a test.

Attachments

• Triangle_Wave.jpg
    Triangle_Wave.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 899
  • clamp2voff.png
    clamp2voff.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,152
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi stn0091. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Do you have simulation software that you can construct this and see precisely what it does? It helps a lot when you know what you are aiming to explain. :smile: There can be a big difference between how a circuit behaves for the first so many cycles, and how it operates well down the track once it has settled down to a steady state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I simulated the circuit using PSPICE. Just from observation of the circuit, I can tell how it behaves for the first few cycles, even without the simulation. I just can't manage to write it down with some work.

At 0 seconds, is the circuit assumed to be in DC steady state? Is it valid if I say the entire circuit is assumed to have been off for a long period of time such that the capacitor is discharged and open and there is no current anywhere in the circuit?

If that's the case, that might help a bit.

Under DCSS at 0-:

Vs = 0V

Vc = Vs - Vo

Vo = -Vd + 2

There is no current, so there's no drop across the diode so Vd = 0V.

Working back up that list up equations,

Vo = 2V
Vc = -2V

Those numbers agree with my intuitive understanding of the circuit and what PSPICE says.

Question: I said that the capacitor was fully discharged at DCSS for t = 0-. How can Vc = -2V in that case? Shouldn't it be zero? Or does "discharged" just mean any value < 0? This stuff from basic circuits is really throwing me off.

That was all at DCSS at 0- seconds. Now turn Vs on.

Diode will be in reverse bias so the circuit is still "off."

With KVL, I again have:

Vs - Vc - Vo = 0

Capacitor has no path so Vc remains constant at -2V. Let's say I'm at the first 10V peak at T/4 seconds.

10 - (-2) - Vo = 0
Vo = 12V

Is that all logically sound so far? Are my assumptions valid?

Last edited:
stn0091 said:
Yes, I simulated the circuit using PSPICE.
Umm, I was hinting that you should post a graph of v₀(t) over multiple cycles. http://imageshack.us/a/img854/9793/tazm.gif This might allow us to cut to the chase with the explanation.
At 0 seconds, is the circuit assumed to be in DC steady state? Is it valid if I say the entire circuit is assumed to have been off for a long period of time such that the capacitor is discharged and open and there is no current anywhere in the circuit?
For this circuit, the only current path includes the capacitor, and since we can't have a steady current into a capacitor without its voltage soaring towards infinity, then, yes, the current must have zeroed.
Question: I said that the capacitor was fully discharged at DCSS for t = 0-. How can Vc = -2V in that case? Shouldn't it be zero? Or does "discharged" just mean any value < 0? This stuff from basic circuits is really throwing me off.
The 2V source is not part of the input and is not switched in at t=0; that 2V is always present so it takes part in determining the equilibrium conditions before t=0.
Capacitor has no path so Vc remains constant at -2V. Let's say I'm at the first 10V peak at T/4 seconds.

10 - (-2) - Vo = 0
Vo = 12V

Is that all logically sound so far? Are my assumptions valid?
It's right so far.

We need your graph of v₀(t).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly a triangle wave, but it still follows the same general shape. Top/pink is Vo, middle/purple is Vs, bottom/red is Vc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52192&stc=1&d=1350890897.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 797
Are those waveforms close to what you expected to find? Can you explain what they show, and some of their features?

This is a clamper circuit.When the input is at its negative peak,the diode is on and the capacitor is charged opposite to what is shown in the circuit.The capacitor is charged to V=20+2-0.7=21.3V.
Now when the input is at its positive peak,the diode is off and the capacitor stays at the same charged voltage.
The output in first case is (2-0.7)V=1.3V.Voltage across diode is 0.7V
The output in second case is 21.3+10=31.3V.Across diode is also 31.3V since open circuit.
The output is never negative.

1. What is a positive offset clamping diode circuit?

A positive offset clamping diode circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses a diode to control the output voltage. It is used to limit the voltage of a signal to a specific range, usually by clamping the negative portion of the signal to a fixed voltage level.

2. How does a positive offset clamping diode circuit work?

In a positive offset clamping diode circuit, the diode is connected in parallel with the load. When the input signal is positive, the diode is reverse-biased and has no effect on the signal. However, when the input signal becomes negative, the diode becomes forward-biased and clamps the voltage to a fixed level, preventing it from going below that level.

3. What are the advantages of using a positive offset clamping diode circuit?

One of the main advantages of a positive offset clamping diode circuit is that it can protect sensitive electronic components from overvoltage. It can also be used to shape signals and remove unwanted noise from a signal. Additionally, it is a simple and inexpensive circuit to implement.

4. What are some common applications of a positive offset clamping diode circuit?

A positive offset clamping diode circuit is often used in audio and video circuits to remove DC offset and noise from signals. It can also be used in power supplies to protect electronic components from overvoltage. Other applications include signal processing, pulse shaping, and waveform generation.

5. How can I design a positive offset clamping diode circuit?

The design of a positive offset clamping diode circuit depends on the specific requirements of the application. However, the basic components needed are a diode, a resistor, and a power supply. The value of the resistor and the power supply voltage will determine the clamping level. It is important to choose a diode with a suitable forward voltage and current rating for the desired application.