Why did the cotton ball insulated cup freeze the slowest?

• Thread starter TooManyHours
  • Start date
In summary, a fifth grade student conducted an experiment to compare the insulation properties of Styrofoam and cotton balls. He found that the cup insulated with cotton balls took the longest to freeze, indicating it was the better insulator. Some possible explanations for this result include the density and stability of air within the cup, as well as the potential for air movement from the freezer fan. However, there are also other factors that could have influenced the results, such as the initial temperature of the water and the materials used for the cups. To further investigate, it would be beneficial to conduct more controlled experiments, such as placing the cups in a location with no air flow and using thermometers to measure heat dissipation. Overall, while the experiment may
TooManyHours
My son in grade 5 had to do an experiment to make insulated cups using different materials. He made one using insulated Styrofoam pieces from ripped up cups and one using cotton balls. He packed Styrofoam pieces into a large cup and placed a smaller cup inside the larger cup and packed more Styrofoam between the small cup and the large cup. He did the same with 2 other cups and cotton balls.

He then poured equal amounts of water into each cup and placed them in the freezer and timed how long it took for the cups to completely freeze.

The one that seemed to work the best was the cotton ball cup (i.e. it took the longest to freeze).

But, he has to explain why? Is it because it is easier to pack cotton balls than Styrofoam (i.e. less air gets in around the outside edge of the Styrofoam cup)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know, I'm going to go out on a limb and provide some feedback based largely on my intuition. If anyone has a more professional or experimental reply to debunk mine please feel free to naysay me, I won't mind.

My assumption: Stable (non moving) air is a better insulator than matter, and a vacuum is a better insulator than matter OR gas.

If we assume this is true, then I think the better of the two insulators (styrofoam or cotton) would provide more stable air around the liquid with less matter. That is, the less dense of the two solids would be the better insulator. I believe the cotton is less dense than styrofoam because of its nature (thin strands of material all knotted together, as opposed to a bubble-based solid that has many more tightly-packed molecules), and therefore provides better insulation because it "packs" more stable air in the space than the more dense styrofoam.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I don't know - that's why I'm asking...

TooManyHours said:
I don't know - that's why I'm asking...
This is why I asked, "What do you think?" If you knew, why ask?

Heat transfer in fluids (liquids and gasses) is a big nasty complicated affair that is not actually all that well understood. (For an example of the kind of wierdness that can occur, Google "Mpemba effect".)

Regarding the hypotheses of air movement and packing: You should be able to think of easy experiments to test both of them, so if you have the time you can simply do that instead of getting an answer from the book.

That said, convection causes fluids to conduct heat more efficiently in many circumstances, and air is quite a good insulator, but even in an experiment as simple as yours, other factors - for example, the inital temperature of the water, the materials that the cups are made out of, how well the styrofoam and cotton are packed, the shape of the containers, and the location of the containers in the refrigerator could easily have a larger effect than the experiment gives them credit for. (A great experiment would be to get some thermometers and put them in different locations in the refrigerator overnight, and see what numbers they come up with...)

Well said. Air from the freezer fan blowing over one cup and not the other would have a large impact on their freezing times. Maybe it would be more accurate to simply find a place in your home that has no air flow (like under a cardboard box), and insert the thermometer into each cup in turn, then place the cup under the box. After X minutes, remove the box and take a reading, and repeat for a few more intervals of X just to get an accurate heat dissipation rating for each material.

I think because it's a 5th grade experiment everything's to be taken with a huge grain of salt, but it never hurts to try for perfection!

o:)

1. How do insulated cups keep drinks hot or cold?

Insulated cups have double walls with a vacuum or insulating material in between. This prevents heat from escaping or entering the cup, keeping the drink at its original temperature for a longer period of time.

2. What materials are typically used to make insulated cups?

The most common materials used for insulated cups are stainless steel, plastic, and glass. Some cups also have a layer of foam or silicone for added insulation.

3. Are insulated cups safe for hot beverages?

Yes, insulated cups are safe for both hot and cold beverages. The materials used in their construction are designed to withstand high temperatures without affecting the integrity of the cup or altering the taste of the drink.

4. How long can a drink stay hot or cold in an insulated cup?

The length of time a drink stays hot or cold in an insulated cup depends on various factors such as the initial temperature of the drink, the quality of the insulation, and the ambient temperature. However, on average, a well-insulated cup can keep a drink hot or cold for 4-6 hours.

5. Can insulated cups be recycled?

Yes, most insulated cups are made with recyclable materials. However, it's important to check the label or with the manufacturer to ensure proper recycling methods are followed.