How to apply mathematics to real world problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around using math equations and variables in real-life situations, particularly when it comes to determining the area of a tire resting against a curb. The concept of measuring the area of rubber touching the road as a way to determine braking distance is also brought up. The question is posed about how to calculate the total surface area of the tire touching the curb, with one suggestion being to use the area and pressure of the tire to estimate the weight of the car.
uperkurk
Let's say I see a parked car, the tire of the car is resting against the curb. Would you actually have to go with a tape measure and measure the curb, measure the wheel and then you'd be able to find the area underneath the curb and the tire?

It's just confusing. Soooo many math equations just use variables. But when it comes to the real thing, I'm confused.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 394
Mathematics news on Phys.org
uperkurk said:
Let's say I see a parked car, the tire of the car is resting against the curb. Would you actually have to go with a tape measure and measure the curb, measure the wheel and then you'd be able to find the area underneath the curb and the tire?

It's just confusing. Soooo many math equations just use variables. But when it comes to the real thing, I'm confused.

EDIT: I missed seeing that the question had a very specific diagram, and so the "example" I posted is an area problem unrelated the uperkurk's question (and accompanying diagram).

?

Example:
An undetermined quantity of liquid material spilled. Estimate the area of the ground which the spilled material is covering, and calculate the length of absorbant roll material to cut in order to cover and absorb the spilled liquid material.

EDIT Again: My example seems more practical. The purpose of the area that the tire is covering of the curb is unclear, or at least seems not practicle. One could try to calculate or estimate this if he wanted.

Last edited:
Yes. The wheel is probably closest to an ellipse. Measuring the major and minor axes of the wheel will be enough to determine the ellipse, or any 3 points on the boundary if the major/minor axes are unclear. You will, of course, inherit the error bounds of your measuring rod. To be any more accurate, you would have to do a numerical integration: literally measure the height of the wheel over different partition types to find upper and lower bounds for the area, which is the best we can do for physical objects that are not abstract ideals.

Last edited:
What's your question?

Of course you can measure anything you want, but it helps if there's a real application.
There seems to be little point in calculating the area between curb and tire.
It becomes much more interesting if you try to calculate the area of rubber touching the road.
That may indicate for instance the distance it takes to brake to a stand still.

I like Serena said:
What's your question?

Of course you can measure anything you want, but it helps if there's a real application.
There seems to be little point in calculating the area between curb and tire.
It becomes much more interesting if you try to calculate the area of rubber touching the road.
That may indicate for instance the distance it takes to brake to a stand still.

Yeh that is something I didn't think of and probably would have been a better example. So how would one go about calculating the total surface area of the tire that is touching the curb

uperkurk said:
Yeh that is something I didn't think of and probably would have been a better example. So how would one go about calculating the total surface area of the tire that is touching the curb

Well, the area time the pressure in the tire should be equal to about a quarter of the weight of the car.

1. How can I use mathematical concepts to solve real world problems?

Mathematics provides a set of tools and methods that can be used to analyze and solve complex problems in the real world. By applying mathematical principles such as algebra, geometry, and statistics, you can break down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts and find a solution.

2. What are some examples of real world problems that can be solved using mathematics?

Some examples of real world problems that can be solved using mathematics include predicting stock market trends, analyzing data in medical research, designing bridges and buildings, and optimizing transportation routes.

3. How do I know which mathematical concepts to apply to a specific problem?

Identifying the appropriate mathematical concepts to apply to a problem requires careful analysis and understanding of the problem at hand. You may need to break down the problem into smaller parts and consider different mathematical approaches before deciding on the best method to use.

4. Can mathematics be used to solve real world problems in different fields of study?

Yes, mathematics can be applied to a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, economics, biology, and many others. The principles and methods of mathematics can be adapted and applied to different areas of study to solve complex problems.

5. Is there a specific process or approach to solving real world problems using mathematics?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to solving real world problems with mathematics. However, a general problem-solving process often involves defining the problem, identifying relevant mathematical concepts and techniques, and applying those concepts to analyze and find a solution to the problem.