Negative temperatures , BELOW 0 Kelvin?-Confirmation please

• Thread starter cephron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Negative
In summary, the conversation is about negative temperatures and whether they are a hoax or not. The discovery of negative temperatures is not a hoax, but it does not mean temperatures below absolute zero. Negative temperatures are actually hotter than any positive temperature, and there is an ongoing discussion about them in a separate thread.
cephron
"Negative temperatures", BELOW 0 Kelvin?--Confirmation please

Someone shared this article with me:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...d-setting-negative-temperature_n_2404666.html

...And I've seen a couple others apparently referencing the same thing. If it's a hoax, it's beyond my ability to identify it. But this is a rather extraordinary claim. Can anyone clarify the reliability and implications of this discovery? Many thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org

Negative temperatures are not below absolute zero. They are actually hotter than any positive temperature in the sense that, heat will flow out of the negative temperature system to the positive temperature system.

I was under the impression negative temperatures have already been experimentally reached (at least Pathria stated so in his stat mech book).

In short, no it's not a hoax. It just doesn't what you think it means. Despite the name, it does not mean "colder than absolute zero". Just the opposite; negative temperatures are hot.

There's an ongoing discussion on negative temperatures in this thread: [thread]662268[/thread].

I'm closing this thread since there's no reason to have two active threads on the same subject.

1. What exactly is a negative temperature below 0 Kelvin?

A negative temperature below 0 Kelvin refers to a temperature scale where the energy of a system decreases as the temperature increases. This is in contrast to the more commonly used Kelvin scale where energy increases as temperature increases.

2. Is it possible to have a negative temperature?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative temperature below 0 Kelvin. This is a concept in thermodynamics that describes a system with a higher energy state than the maximum possible energy state at 0 Kelvin.

3. How does a negative temperature differ from a positive temperature?

A negative temperature differs from a positive temperature in that it represents a system with a higher energy state than the maximum possible energy state at 0 Kelvin, while a positive temperature represents a system with a lower energy state than the maximum possible energy state at 0 Kelvin.

4. What are some examples of systems with negative temperatures?

Some examples of systems with negative temperatures below 0 Kelvin include certain types of atomic spin systems and laser-cooled gases. These systems have been studied in laboratory settings but are not commonly found in nature.

5. How does the concept of negative temperatures relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The concept of negative temperatures below 0 Kelvin does not violate the laws of thermodynamics. In fact, it is a result of these laws, specifically the third law of thermodynamics which states that entropy (a measure of disorder) decreases as the temperature approaches absolute zero. Negative temperatures are a manifestation of this decrease in entropy.