Limit of functionsdont get it.

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: Continuous on a subset D of \mathbb{R} if and only if there exists a sequence in D such that |x-a|<d for every x in D.
semidevil
I"m doing some problems regarding limits of functions, and using the epsilon delta defnition, I really have no idea on what they do, and how they pick the delta.

for example:

lim as x to 3 of | 5-3/x+3| = 1/3. after some siimplication, this turns to 4/3|x-3 / x+3| < epsilon. and to find a bound for |x+3| we set delta to 1. and this makes -1 <x-3 < 1. then, they add 6 to both sides, and this becomes -5 <|x+3|<7. after that, it is pretty straight forward.

first question, why did they pick delta as 1? and also, why did they add 6 to the left and right side?

and then, there are other problems such as as limit of x to 2 of 1/ 1 - x = - 1. they pick delta as 1/2, and what do they do from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have absolutely no idea of what function you're talking about!
Which of these functions do you mean:
a) [tex]f(x)=|\frac{5-3}{x}+3|[/tex]
b)[tex]f(x)=|5-\frac{3}{x}+3|[/tex]
c)[tex]f(x)=|5-\frac{3}{x+3}|[/tex]
Neither of these functions, I might add, have the limit value you are talking about at x=3

Arildno,i think it's
[tex] f(x)=|\frac{5-3}{x+3}| [/tex]

Incidentally,this one converges to 1/3,when x----->3

Daniel.

"When we have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth"
(Or something like that..)

i think its (5-x)/(x+3) as x-->3.

and the answer is that quotient limits are hard. you soften them up by taking delta less than something easy like 1, and then go from there.

The way to do practically all calculus questions splits into two parts.

Generic show lim x tends to a of f(x) is f(a)

1. Just suppose that |x-a|< d play around with |f(x)-f(a)| until you've got something bounding it above in terms of d.

eg.

to show x^2 is continuous on [0,1]

Pretend |x-a|< d , then |x^2-a^2| = |x-a||x+a| < |x+a|d <=2d since x and a both are in the interval [0,1], x+a is at most 2.

So, given e > 0 let d = e/2, then |x-a| <d implies by exactly the same reasoning that |x^2-a^2|<e, so x^2 is continuous at a.

2. Sometimes we don't get such a nice answer, so we can also assume d to be less than some number, for instance 1 if that helps.

For instance to show x^2 is continuous at all points of R, let us assume |x-a|<d<1, then by the above

|x^2-a^2| < d|x+a|

but -1<x-a<1, so 2a-1<x+a<2a+1, ie |x+a| < |2a+1|

so given e >0, let d be e/(2a+1).

The problem I find in students is that they actually think the lecturer plucked d out of thin air by a lucky guess that seemed to work, and can't figure out how they'd guess it. This owes to the fact that mathematicians like to make things look neat when presenting it so they don't "show their working".

matt grime said:
to show x^2 is continuous on [0,1]

Pretend |x-a|< d , then |x^2-a^2| = |x-a||x+a| < |x+a|d <=2d since x and a both are in the interval [0,1], x+a is at most 2.

So, given e > 0 let d = e/2, then |x-a| <d implies by exactly the same reasoning that |x^2-a^2|<e, so x^2 is continuous at a.
You really need to take cases, for when epsilon gets big, the result may not hold. |x+a| is not at most 2, because x doesn't have to lie in the interval [0,1]. x lies in the interval (a-d,a+d).

In your example, take for instance a=1, and e=10, then d=5,
but x=5 satisfies |x-1|<5, but |x^2-1^2|=|25-1|=24 >10.

|x+a| is at most 2, if you restrict x to the interval [0,1], this is not possible if a=1, because then d would have to be zero.
Better choose |x+a| at most 3, you can restrict x to the interval [0,2] by choosing d such that |x-a|<2-a. So choose d=min(e/3,2-a) to be on the safe side.

Hopefully I got that right. This is indeed what makes limits difficult.

Last edited:
Erm, I think you'll find that x and a are in the interval [0,1] because that was part of the hypothesis. I was proving it continuous on the interval [0,1] (with the obvious subspace topology).

Here an easier and more general way:

Let |x-a|<d.
Write |x+a|=|x-a+2a|<=|x-a|+2|a|.
Then |x^2-a^2|<=|x-a|(|x-a|+2|a|)<d^2+2|a|d

So we want d^2+2|a|d to be smaller then any e.
If d<1, then d^2+2|a|d<1+2|a|, so take:

[tex]\delta = min\{\frac{\epsilon}{1+2|a|},1\}[/tex]

The argument holds for any [itex]a\in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

matt grime said:
Erm, I think you'll find that x and a are in the interval [0,1] because that was part of the hypothesis. I was proving it continuous on the interval [0,1] (with the obvious subspace topology).

Okay, I thought you meant continuous on a particular subset [itex]D\subset \mathbb{R}[/itex], with [itex]D=[0,1][/itex].

yes, that was the second argument i posted when i removed the condition that x lie in [0,1]

1. What is the limit of a function?

The limit of a function is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value. It is the value that the function "approaches" or gets closer to as the input gets closer to a particular value.

2. How is the limit of a function calculated?

The limit of a function can be calculated using various methods, such as numerical or graphical methods, or using algebraic techniques like substitution and factoring. In calculus, the limit of a function can be found using the concept of derivatives.

3. What is the purpose of finding the limit of a function?

The limit of a function is used to analyze the behavior of a function near a particular point. It helps determine the continuity and differentiability of a function, as well as identify any asymptotes or points of discontinuity.

4. Can the limit of a function exist if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, the limit of a function can exist even if the function is not defined at that point. This is known as an "essential" or "removable" discontinuity, where the limit at a particular point may still exist despite the function not being defined at that point.

5. How do limits of functions relate to real-life applications?

Limits of functions have many real-life applications, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the behavior of physical systems, such as the position of an object over time, or to optimize production and profit in a business setting.