Exploring the Implications of Mass and Energy on the Universe

In summary: Photons could have an influence on gravity due to their massless nature- Alternatively, if pure energy has the same gravitational effects as mass, then photons would not need to have mass in order to have an effect
DMuitW
Hi,

I've been wondering about some things;
(sorry, introduction is about astronomy, but rest is physics)

The future of the universe is determined by the quantity of mass.
Lets take the example of the big crunch, in which gravity will essentially get the upperhand.

Now, One pointed out to me that if mass is equivalent to energy through the famous E=mc² theory, then when we assume that if everything changes into the form of energy (all mass into energy), what will this have as implications to that big crunch?

I did some research and i found that essentially, in Einsteins theory of general relativity, mass is needed to form gravitational fields (or the distortion of space-time).

Apart from other terms as quantum gravity, which implies gravitons and possibly gravity waves, I thus wonder whether pure energy (like photons, with mass 0) has an implication on gravity (can it make gravitational fields equivalent to those of mass) without the need of the pure energy to convert into solid mass

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DMuitW said:
I thus wonder whether pure energy (like photons, with mass 0) has an implication on gravity (can it make gravitational fields equivalent to those of mass) without the need of the pure energy to convert into solid mass

special relativity says that intertia of a system taking energy of E increases by [tex]\frac{E}{c^2}[/tex]. considering a a single photon, this inertia seems to be [tex]\frac{hf}{c^2}[/tex], which can cause a distortion in space-time grid, albeit it can usually be ignored.

DMuitW said:
I thus wonder whether pure energy (like photons, with mass 0) has an implication on gravity (can it make gravitational fields equivalent to those of mass) without the need of the pure energy to convert into solid mass

Check these threads:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=66116&highlight=photons+mass
Two

1. What is the relationship between mass and energy?

The relationship between mass and energy is described by Albert Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This equation states that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted from one form to another.

2. How does mass and energy affect the structure of the universe?

The amount of mass and energy present in the universe determines the overall structure and evolution of the universe. The distribution of mass and energy influences the formation of galaxies, stars, and other celestial bodies.

3. Can mass and energy be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of mass-energy, mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed. They can only change forms or be converted from one to the other.

4. What role does mass and energy play in the expansion of the universe?

The presence of mass and energy in the universe affects the expansion rate of the universe. The more mass and energy there is, the stronger the force of gravity, which can slow down the expansion. Conversely, if there is less mass and energy, the expansion can accelerate.

5. How does the study of mass and energy help us understand the origins of the universe?

The study of mass and energy is crucial in understanding the origins of the universe. It helps us determine the conditions of the early universe, such as the density and temperature, and allows us to trace the evolution of the universe from its beginning to its current state.