EE major that loves physics class but hates computer programming

In summary, the conversation discussed the role of programming in electrical engineering and other science fields. It was mentioned that learning a programming language is essential for using computers in science and engineering, but there are also canned software options available. It was also mentioned that many electrical engineers engage in programming and that it is a valuable skill to have in the job market. The person who dislikes programming was encouraged to try to understand what specifically they dislike about it and to keep an open mind, as flexibility and agility are important in engineering and science fields.
jaydnul
Is an electrical engineering major like myself going to have a hard time gettin through my bachelors if i can't stand learning a programming language? I love studying the sciences but something about cse bores the crap out of me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't switch to physics if you hate programming. Programming and teaching are the main things that BS in physics graduates do. Maybe chem would be more up your alley?

It's hard to do any science or engineering these days without using a computer, and you need to be able to tell the computer what to do. What is it about programming that you "hate"?

Maybe hate's a strong word. I just don't enjoy learning a programming language (I usually enjoy studying most subjects, even if they don't pertain to the sciences). Of course someone could say, tough crap, learn it anyways, which i understand since it applies to so much, and i will. I am just weary of going into a field where programming will be my main job duty. So would an EE major have MORE programming duties than your average physics major?

phyzguy said:
It's hard to do any science or engineering these days without using a computer, and you need to be able to tell the computer what to do. What is it about programming that you "hate"?

It is true that all science today involves computers somehow.

However, you have canned software for many applications. It is entirely possible to know little programming and just use the canned software.

chill_factor said:
It is true that all science today involves computers somehow.

However, you have canned software for many applications. It is entirely possible to know little programming and just use the canned software.

I guess it's possible to just use Mathematica or something.

Every ee I know does programming. Sometimes in assembly!

Best Pokemon said:
I guess it's possible to just use Mathematica or something.

For more complicated things you need CAD style simulation software. The number of people that can write these simulations is vastly smaller than the number of people that are required to use the results of these simulations. So a company writes the software and sells user licenses.

lundyjb said:
Is an electrical engineering major like myself going to have a hard time gettin through my bachelors if i can't stand learning a programming language? I love studying the sciences but something about cse bores the crap out of me.

This always mystifies me when people say things like this. Try to help me understand. What is it about learning to code that you dislike? Learning to code is simply learning to think logically and capture your ideas in an unambiguous way. If you like science, it is surprising that you dislike thinking logically. Is it learning the details of the syntax that bothers you? If you write is "pseudo-code" (which captures the algorithm without requiring that the syntax is perfect), does this help?

You don't have to love programming, its just a tool that make many things easy.
And programming is everywhere, even Business majors learn it in one form or another.

Be open and avoid closed mindedness (i.e. since I hate programming I will not learn it), flexibility is a part of the solution.
Engineering & Sciences require flexibility and agility.

If you go to a job interview and you show that you dislike programming then its a disaster.

1. Why does this person love physics but hate computer programming?

There could be a variety of reasons for this. It's possible that the individual finds the concepts and theories in physics more interesting and engaging than the technical aspects of computer programming. They may also struggle with the problem-solving and logical thinking skills required for programming. It's important to remember that everyone has different strengths and interests, and it's okay to not enjoy every subject equally.

2. Is it common for an EE major to dislike programming?

Yes, it is not uncommon for an EE (Electrical Engineering) major to struggle with programming. While programming is an important skill in the field of EE, it is not the only aspect of the major. Many students may find that they excel in other areas such as circuit design or signal processing, and may not enjoy programming as much.

3. How can this person still be successful in an EE major if they dislike programming?

There are many different career paths within the field of EE, and not all of them require extensive programming knowledge. For example, some EE majors may go on to work in research and development, where they can focus more on theoretical concepts and less on programming. Additionally, there are often opportunities for students to collaborate with others who have stronger programming skills, or to use programming tools and software to assist with their projects.

4. Are there any tips for this person to improve their programming skills?

If the individual is interested in improving their programming skills, there are a few things they can do. First, they can try taking a different approach to learning, such as finding a tutor or joining a study group. They can also experiment with different programming languages to see if there is one that they find more enjoyable. Additionally, practicing regularly and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable tasks can also help improve programming skills.

5. Can this person still work in the field of physics if they dislike programming?

Yes, there are many opportunities for individuals with a background in physics to work in fields outside of programming. Some potential career paths may include research, teaching, or working in industries such as aerospace, energy, or materials science. It's important to explore different options and find a path that aligns with the individual's interests and strengths.