Zero speed due to air resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of terminal velocity and whether or not an object subject to air resistance will eventually reach zero speed. The answer is that while the acceleration will reach zero, the velocity will approach zero asymptotically due to the opposing forces of drag and gravity. In real life, the object will eventually come to a stop due to random thermal motion.
DarkFalz
Hello,

the other day i was playing pool, and i wondered about the following question: when a body is subject to air resistance, does it eventually get to zero speed? Or does it gradually slow down but never reaching 0 speed?

Excuse me if this question is nonsense, but when i heard about another subject, termodynamics, where the temperature of two bodies exchanging temperature never gets totally even, i thought about this situation with regards to speed.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Im sorry but

I'm sorry, but i did not understand your answer. I am not used to the terminology you used. Do you mean that, in fact, the body won't reach zero velocity?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity

The drag force increases with velocity, and if the object is accelerating (e.g under gravity) the velocity is increasing with time. So, after some time the acceleration due to the drag force comes to oppose the acceleration due to gravity; the object reaches zero acceleration, and the velocity can no longer increase- the object is said to have reached terminal velocity.

But that

But that only states that acceleration reaches 0, not that velocity will reach 0. In the situation in cause, there is not even an acceleration other than the air resistance, only an initial speed.

Classically, I think the speed will approach 0 asymptotically. But in real like, the object will get slow enough that random thermal motion (Brownian motion) will take over.

What is "zero speed due to air resistance"?

"Zero speed due to air resistance" refers to the phenomenon in which an object traveling through the air comes to a complete stop due to the resistance of the air. This can occur when the force of air resistance is equal to the force propelling the object forward.

What factors affect an object's speed due to air resistance?

Several factors can affect an object's speed due to air resistance, including its surface area, shape, and velocity. Objects with a larger surface area or less streamlined shape experience more air resistance and therefore slow down more quickly. Additionally, the faster an object is traveling, the greater the force of air resistance will be.

How does air resistance impact the motion of an object?

Air resistance can significantly impact the motion of an object. As an object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which can cause it to slow down or even come to a complete stop. In some cases, air resistance can also change the direction of an object's motion.

Can air resistance be eliminated?

No, air resistance cannot be completely eliminated. All objects moving through the air will experience some level of air resistance, although it can be reduced by changing the object's shape or increasing its speed.

How does air resistance affect different objects differently?

Air resistance affects different objects differently depending on their size, shape, and speed. Generally, larger and less streamlined objects experience more air resistance and slow down more quickly. Objects with a smaller surface area and a more streamlined shape experience less air resistance and are able to maintain their speed for longer periods of time.