Determining the equivalent weight of molecules.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of equivalent weight and how it can be determined for different substances. The speaker is looking for a definition and formula for equivalent weight, particularly for substances like SO2, CO2, O3, and H2O. They also mention a helpful website with information on axial chirality.
avistein
What is the equivalent weight of ozone molecule?
I mean how can I find out the equivalent weight of molecules?

Is it same as the equivalent weight of element?

For example,

FeCl3 ,what will be the equivalent weight of chlorine ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
First of all - what definition of the equivalent do you want to use?

meaning?

Simply: define the equivalent weight.

Actually I want to know the formula.For example for acid,eq. wt=mol. wt/basicity.Like this. I know only formulas for acid,base,salt and elements. However how can we find out the eq. wt for other substance like SO2,CO2,O3,H2O etc.

*Note*-please see my this post also. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4391617#post4391617

1. What is meant by "equivalent weight" in chemistry?

Equivalent weight, also known as gram equivalent weight, is a measure of the reactive capacity of a molecule or compound. It is the amount of a substance that reacts or combines with one mole of hydrogen ions (H+) or one mole of electrons.

2. How is the equivalent weight of a molecule determined?

The equivalent weight of a molecule is determined by dividing the molecular weight by the number of reactive units in the molecule. For example, if a molecule has two reactive units (such as two acidic hydrogen ions), the equivalent weight would be half of the molecular weight.

3. Why is it important to determine the equivalent weight of molecules?

Knowing the equivalent weight of a molecule is important in various chemical calculations, such as determining the amount of a substance needed for a reaction or calculating the concentration of a solution.

4. Can the equivalent weight of a molecule change in different reactions?

Yes, the equivalent weight of a molecule can change depending on the reaction it is involved in. For example, a molecule may have a different equivalent weight when reacting with a different number of hydrogen ions or electrons.

5. How does stoichiometry relate to determining the equivalent weight of molecules?

Stoichiometry is the study of the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. Determining the equivalent weight of molecules is an important aspect of stoichiometry, as it helps in determining the correct ratios of reactants and products in a reaction.