Conservation of angular momentum in coriolis generated tornado funnel

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of tornado funnels and coriolis generated water funnels of draining sinks. The increasing angular velocities of the water with reduced radii are found to be greater than allowed by the law of conservation of angular momentum. The participants also discuss the equation L=mvr and the relationship between radius and time in a vortex. One participant shares a link for further reading on the topic.
carl fischbach
After careful observation of tornado funnels and
coriolis generated water funnels of draining sinks
the increasing angular velocities of the water
with reduced radii is greater than allowed for
by the law of conservation of angular momentum.
Could someone shed some light on this situation
for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, I've never heard of this, I think it is very interesting. If I remember correctly, L=mvr. And if we assume m is constant, and (the absolute value of) v is increasing due to gravity, then the derivative of the radius as a function of time should be a negative constant (indicating a constant decrease in radius). When I visualize this, it seems to correlate nicely with the picture of a vortex in my head. Please post everything you know, though actual data may be a bit much to type up. Regardless of what anyone says in this thread, I'm going to look into this, I find vorticies fascinating.

Last edited:
Good point, I misunderstood what he was saying. I thought he had an experimental setup of a tub (w/ hole) mounted to the rim of a lazy susan type of thing, that way he could reliably get vorticies of known angular velocity, size, etc., given the angular velocity of the lazy susan thing, radius of said thing, etc..

What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque.

How does angular momentum affect tornadoes?

In the case of tornadoes, angular momentum plays a crucial role in the formation and maintenance of their funnel shape. As the air near the surface of the ground is pulled into the rotating updraft of a tornado, its speed increases, causing an increase in its angular momentum. This increase in angular momentum must be conserved, leading to the formation of a funnel shape.

What role does Coriolis force play in the conservation of angular momentum in tornadoes?

The Coriolis force, which is caused by the rotation of the Earth, helps to maintain the conservation of angular momentum in tornadoes. As the air near the surface is pulled into the tornado's updraft, the Coriolis force acts on it, causing it to rotate and increase its angular momentum.

How does the size of a tornado funnel affect the conservation of angular momentum?

The size of a tornado funnel does not directly affect the conservation of angular momentum. However, larger tornadoes tend to have stronger updrafts, which can result in a more pronounced funnel shape due to the conservation of angular momentum.

Can the conservation of angular momentum in tornadoes be violated?

No, the conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated in any natural phenomenon, including tornadoes. However, external forces such as friction and air resistance can act on a tornado and cause changes in its angular momentum, leading to changes in its shape and intensity.