Maximum Vibrations in a material

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transferring or sustaining vibrations in a material by sandwiching it between two vibrating materials. The ideal material for this purpose would have low energy losses due to deformation, such as glass, metal, rubber, or water droplets. It is also suggested that a vacuum would be the best material for transferring vibrations. The conversation also mentions the use of materials like superfluid liquid helium or pure monocrystals, but notes that they may not be suitable for this design. Additionally, the conversation touches on the idea of using materials like cotton or human touch to dampen vibrations, using the example of a bell or guitar string.
Young Learner
Hi,

What is the material which would develop powerful vibration for a sustained period when they are stroked with another material(may be the same or a different material).

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you elaborate? Your post is not making much sense.

For example, if I strike a copper or silver materials with each other they produce vibrations or even when a string is stretched in a guitar vibrations are produced.

Likewise which material induces maximum vibrations for a sustained period of time?

In general, any material with small viscoelasticity(low energy losses due to deformation) at given conditions.
It may be peace of glass, metall, rubber, even water dropplet, depending of what do you need.

Likes 1 person
Graniar said:
In general, any material with small viscoelasticity(low energy losses due to deformation) at given conditions.
It may be peace of glass, metall, rubber, even water dropplet, depending of what do you need.

I just want to transfer the vibrations produced from a material to another material. Like for example, I want to sandwich a material in between two vibrating material so that the vibration is transferred or sustained in the material which is placed in the middle.

Young Learner said:
I just want to transfer the vibrations produced from a material to another material. Like for example, I want to sandwich a material in between two vibrating material so that the vibration is transferred or sustained in the material which is placed in the middle.

For example, there are two blocks connected with the spring/rubber medium. After a shot shake, those blocks stay motionless, but the medium still vibrate for some time. Is this kind of design do you mean?

Likes 1 person
Graniar said:
For example, there are two blocks connected with the spring/rubber medium. After a shot shake, those blocks stay motionless, but the medium still vibrate for some time. Is this kind of design do you mean?

I am not exactly sure. But, Assume that the material I want to sustain vibrations is A. A is sandwiched between an another material B. I initiate the process by striking B, so that the vibrations are transferred to A. I do this because when I directly strike A, Vibrations induces is very less and are not sustained. But Material B has good vibration properties.

B will just increase energy dissipation, thus the perfect material for B is vacuum (an air is also good).
All you can do is to find best material for A. (superfluid liquid helium is the best, but I suppose is not suitable for your design), pure monocrystals would vibrate longer

Likes 1 person
What you suggest is like wanting to make a bell or a guitar string wrapped in cotton sound nicely. I have seen brass and still bells vibrating for a lot of time, say 3-4 min, however, as soon as you touch them for a second with any object, e.g your hand, the vibration is immediately quenched.

Likes 1 person

What causes maximum vibrations in a material?

Maximum vibrations in a material are caused by an external force or disturbance that creates a resonance within the material. This resonance occurs when the natural frequency of the material matches the frequency of the external force, resulting in maximum vibrations.

How does the stiffness of a material affect its maximum vibrations?

The stiffness of a material directly affects its maximum vibrations. A stiffer material will have a higher natural frequency and therefore require a higher external force to create resonance and maximum vibrations. On the other hand, a less stiff material will have a lower natural frequency and require a lower external force for maximum vibrations to occur.

Can maximum vibrations in a material be controlled?

Yes, maximum vibrations in a material can be controlled through various methods such as damping, which involves dissipating the energy of the vibrations through friction or other means. Additionally, adjusting the shape, size, and composition of the material can also help control its maximum vibrations.

What are the potential effects of maximum vibrations in a material?

The effects of maximum vibrations in a material can range from minor to catastrophic. In some cases, maximum vibrations can cause wear and tear on the material, leading to damage or failure over time. In extreme cases, maximum vibrations can cause the material to break or collapse, posing a danger to structures and individuals.

How is maximum vibration frequency measured?

The maximum vibration frequency of a material can be measured using various instruments and techniques such as accelerometers, strain gauges, and laser vibrometers. These devices measure the displacement, velocity, or acceleration of the material in response to an external force, which can then be used to calculate the maximum vibration frequency.