What was Schrodinger's interpretation of his own equation?

In summary, Schrodinger's interpretation of his equation was different from the modern interpretation. He thought ψ represented a weight function in the system's configuration space.
SamRoss
Gold Member
I have heard that Schrodinger's interpretation of his equation is different from the modern interpretation. What was Schrodinger's interpretation of his own equation and what did he think ψ represented?

Physics news on Phys.org
He gives his interpretation towards the end of his fourth paper.

Schrödinger said:
[itex]\bar{\psi}\psi[/itex] is a kind of a weight function in the system's configuration space. The wave-mechanical configuration of the system is a superposition of many, strictly speaking of all, point-mechanical configurations kinematically possible. Thus, each point-mechanical configuration contributes to the true wave-mechanical configuration with a certain weight, which is given precisely by [itex]\bar{\psi}\psi[/itex]. If we like paradoxes, we may say that the system exists, as it were, simultaneously in all the positions kinematically imaginable, but not "equally strongly" in all.

Of course, I'm sure his views were rapidly evolving at the time (the paper was received in June, 1926). He does make a point that this interpretation makes the one-electron problem looks weird, but but not to interpret the wave-function as a function on real-space, but on configuration space.

Likes 1 person
In his first talks (1926) to Bohr, Pauli, Heisenberg, Sommerfeld et al. some - including Schrödinger - tried make a strong point for continuous wave mechanics and against Heisenberg's matrix mechanics; he wanted to return to well-established classical physics and to make quantum jumps, uncertainties etc. go away. Born's probability interpretation was not yes established (~1927)

See Heisenberg: The Part and The Whole (Der Teil und das Ganze)

Likes 1 person
As another interesting historical note to go with the above regarding the Born interpretation, my collection of Schrödinger's papers contains one from December, 1926 where Schrödinger refers to Born's statistical interpretation (with citations to Born, Dirac and Gordon) as "a renunciation, much too fundamental in principle, of all attempt to understand the individual process." (The translator seems to have done an especially bad job here). It also contains a paper from June, 1927 admitting that's Born's idea solves a lot of problems but he has his own prejudices against it.

Likes 1 person
This quote seems to give insight into his thinking:

"[On quantum mechanics ]I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it."

He coined the Schrodinger's cat paradox as he wasn't happy with the CI.

Likes 1 person
Schrödinger was one of the few early realists who abandoned the particle picture in favour of the wave picture. While de Broglie -and later on Bohm- interpreted the wave function as a pilot wave which guides the particle and while Einstein saw QM simply as an incomplete effective theory, Schrödinger was led to a more Many Worlds like picture of QM in his later years by ascribing reality only to the wave function.

Unfortunately, there's not much literature about this. There's a book by Michel Bitbol called Schrödinger's Philosophy of Quantum Mechanics which captures Schrödinger's evolving view, but it is a wearisome read for physicists because of (too) much philosophical baggage (I have read only excerpts).

Likes 1 person
Kith, what do you mean by "too much philosophical baggage"?

Just click the link in my previous post and read a couple of pages. Although the author has a PhD in physics he is mainly a philosopher and his writing seems bloated to me. I put the "too" of "too much" in parenthesis because maybe people with a more formal education in philosophy may disagree.

Likes 1 person

1. What is Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is a mathematical formula developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926. It describes how quantum particles, such as electrons, behave in time and space.

2. What is the significance of Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is significant because it allowed for a better understanding of the behavior of quantum particles, leading to the development of quantum mechanics and changing the way scientists approach the study of the subatomic world.

3. What is Schrodinger's interpretation of his own equation?

Schrodinger's interpretation of his own equation is that it describes the wave-like nature of quantum particles. He believed that the equation represented the probability of finding a particle at a particular location in space and time.

4. How does Schrodinger's equation relate to the famous "Schrodinger's cat" thought experiment?

In Schrodinger's cat thought experiment, a cat is placed in a box with a radioactive substance that has a 50% chance of killing the cat. According to Schrodinger's interpretation of his equation, until the box is opened and observed, the cat is both alive and dead, existing in a superposition of states.

5. Has Schrodinger's interpretation of his equation been proven to be correct?

Schrodinger's interpretation of his own equation is still a subject of debate among physicists. While it has been experimentally confirmed that quantum particles behave in a wave-like manner, the exact interpretation of the equation is still an area of active research in the field of quantum mechanics.