Help with physical science problems

In summary, the first problem involves using equations to find the distance the runners are from the flagpole when their paths cross, while the second problem involves finding the resultant displacement of a person who travels along a highway and then retraces their path.
heatherly1004
Hey guys, i am doing some physical science and i was stuck on some problems. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. thanks so much!

1. Runner A is initially 5.8 km west of a flagpole and is running with a constant velocity of 8.2 km/h due east. Runner B is initialy 4.8 km east of the flagpole and is running with a constant velocity of 7.8 km/h due west. How far are the runners from the flagpole when their paths cross?

2. While John is traveling along a straight interstate highway, he notices that the mile marker reads 252 km. John travels until he reaches the 149 km marker and then retraces his path to the 168 km marker. What is Johns resultant displacement from the 252 km marker?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. I would set up some equations and solve them:

RA = -5.8km + 8.2km/h

RB = 4.8 - 7.8km/h

When they run into each other, they will both be at the same position, which means

RA = RB

-5.8km + 8.2km/h = 4.8 - 7.8km/h

If the units are confusing you, try changing it to:

8.2x-5.8 = -7.8x+4.8 and solve it for x.

This will tell you how long they were running when they intersect.

Take this and plug it into either one of the equations above, and find the distance the runner runs, then subtract that from his initial distance from the flagpole.

I'm really drowsy so if this is really confusing I am sorry.

2. I already answered in your other post

1. To solve this problem, we can use the formula d = rt, where d is the distance, r is the rate (velocity), and t is the time. We know that Runner A is traveling at 8.2 km/h for a certain amount of time, and Runner B is traveling at 7.8 km/h for the same amount of time. Since their paths cross, we can set their distances equal to each other: 5.8 km + 8.2t = 4.8 km + 7.8t. Solving for t, we get t = 0.5 hours. Plugging this back into the formula, we can find the distance from the flagpole for each runner: Runner A travels 4.1 km and Runner B travels 3.9 km. Therefore, when their paths cross, they are both 3.9 km from the flagpole.

2. To find John's resultant displacement, we can use the formula d = d2 - d1, where d1 is the initial position and d2 is the final position. John's initial position is 252 km and his final position is 168 km. Therefore, his resultant displacement is 252 km - 168 km = 84 km. This means that John is 84 km from the 252 km marker when he reaches the 168 km marker.

1. What types of physical science problems can you help with?

As a scientist, I can assist with a wide range of physical science problems, including those related to physics, chemistry, astronomy, and geology. I have a strong understanding of fundamental principles and concepts in these fields, and can help with both theoretical and practical problems.

2. How can you help me understand complex physical science concepts?

I can break down complicated concepts into simpler, more understandable terms. I can also provide visual aids, examples, and real-world applications to help you grasp the material better. Additionally, I can offer additional resources and practice problems to strengthen your understanding.

3. Can you help me with my homework or assignments?

While I cannot complete your homework or assignments for you, I can guide you through the problem-solving process and provide explanations and feedback. I believe in the importance of learning and understanding the material rather than simply getting the correct answer.

4. How can I prepare for a physical science test or exam?

I can help you prepare for a test or exam by reviewing key concepts, providing practice problems, and offering tips and strategies for studying and test-taking. I can also help clarify any confusing or difficult topics and address any specific questions or concerns you may have.

5. How do I know if I need help with a physical science problem?

If you are struggling to understand a concept, unable to solve a problem, or simply want to improve your understanding and performance in physical science, seeking help is always a good idea. As a scientist, I am here to support and guide you in your learning journey.