Quantum entanglement - what attributes are entangled?

In summary, quantum entanglement is the phenomenon of two particles being in a state where their values are always equal, no matter how they are measured. This is a consequence of the mathematical theory of quantum mechanics, and has been experimentally confirmed.
TrifePhysics
Hello there!

I´ve tried searching the internet but seems to be in need of a heavy book for this answer. I stumbled upon this forum and decided I would love to ask some Experts here :-)
Basically what attributes are quantum entangled?

I know that spin is, but is fx kinetic energy? Are energy states entangled? If one decomposes, does the other as well?

And I need a Little explanation as well :-)

Quantum entanglement basically mean that two particles are entangled to a net-zero sum, where if a value on particle A moves up, particle B moves down. - correct?
And are there other aspects to quantum entanglement in terms of how particles are entangled?

Just need an explanation in Words, not math (though I know that will give a more thorough understanding, but also takes a lot longer for you guys to explain)

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum entanglement is an explanation of the maths, not one that is universally accepted. You can enjoy the benefits of quantum mechanics without subscribing to that point of view.

Hi gadong!

I know - but because it explains some math it leads to some assumptions of how Things Work. To the best of my knowledge there´s been experiments where you entangle two particles, which actually Works.
I would mainly like to know which attributes of a particle is entangled? Fx the locality/position of the particle is not entangled, I know spin is entangled - but what other attributes of a particle is entangled? Velocity? Temperature/kinetic energy?

gadong said:
Quantum entanglement is an explanation of the maths, not one that is universally accepted. You can enjoy the benefits of quantum mechanics without subscribing to that point of view.

That is a terrible comment. Much like saying general relativity is not universally accepted.

The fact is that entanglement is predicted by QM, and experiments confirm those predictions. Bell's Theorem rules out most explanations outside of QM. Entanglement IS generally accepted and has been.

DrChinese said:
That is a terrible comment. Much like saying general relativity is not universally accepted.

The fact is that entanglement is predicted by QM, and experiments confirm those predictions. Bell's Theorem rules out most explanations outside of QM. Entanglement IS generally accepted and has been.

Sorry, I accept that criticism.

I would like to add this comment to the OP's question as to WHAT can be entangled.

Basically, almost anything observable can be entangled!

It is NOT limited to spin, momentum, position, energy, etc. You can entangle electron holes (is that entangling nothing?), combinations of observables, even combinations of different particles. Usually, some Bell Inequality is derived and violated by prediction of QM, and sometimes experiments are done to demonstrate same. A few esoteric examples:

Entanglement of Two Atoms using Rydberg Blockade
http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.5328

Electron-Hole Entanglement in a Quantum Spin Hall Insulator
http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.1207

Etc.

I would estimate on the order of 1,000 different somethings have been shown to be entangled at least in principle. As to the everyday existence of entangled objects: every quark in normal matter is entangled with its 2 siblings; and every electron in the lowest shell is entangled with its partner in that shell. So basically all matter exists in some entangled state almost all of the time.

Thank you Vanheese for the links - I had already read those pages though :-)
What DrChinese wrote was exactly the answer I was looking for - thanks a bunch!

Looking forward to delving further into the World of QM!
I´ll definitely stay on this forum!

Cheers!

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected or "entangled" in a way that their physical properties become dependent on each other, even when separated by large distances.

2. How are particles entangled?

Particles become entangled when they interact with each other and become connected at a quantum level. This can happen through various processes such as collision, decay, or through the use of entangling devices.

3. What attributes are entangled in quantum entanglement?

In quantum entanglement, attributes such as spin, position, momentum, and polarization can become entangled. These attributes are interconnected between the entangled particles, meaning that a change in one particle will affect the other.

4. Can entangled particles be separated?

Yes, entangled particles can be separated by large distances. However, their entangled state will remain intact, meaning that a change in one particle will still affect the other, regardless of the distance between them.

5. What is the significance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has many potential applications in areas such as quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It also challenges our understanding of the nature of reality and the concept of cause and effect.