What is the width of the Hudson River?

• Thread starter yoyomaboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves two ferryboats traveling at constant speeds on opposite sides of the Hudson River and meeting at different points on their return trips. With the use of equations and diagrams, we can determine the width of the river. The final solution may be easier to understand if we use yards instead of feet, as 1 yard is equal to 0.9144 meters.
yoyomaboy
Physics Problem using constant speed.

hey guys, here the problem.

Two ferryboat each traveling at different constant speed start at the same instant from opposite sides of the Hudson River, one going from New York City to Jersey City and the other from Jersey City to New York City. They pass one another at a point 720 yard from New York City shore. After arriving at their respective destinations, each boat spends precisely 10 minutes at the opposite shore to change passengers before switching directions. On the return trip, the two boats meet at a point 400 yards from the Jersey shore.

What is the width of the river?

I drew out diagrams of the river and added in the all the nessasary details. I'm using X=Xi+Vit+1/2at^2. For boat A, solved and got 720=Viat (Via is the initial speed of boat A) and for boat B I solved and got x-720=Vibt (Vib is the intial speed of boat B) (I'm using x as the total width of the river). There is no acceleration, so the 1/2at^2 will cancel out.

For the second time they pass each other i got the equations
Boat A=400=Viat
Boat B=x-400=Vibt

I was thinking that you have to set these equations equal to one another and some how get a ratio, but, these equations are getting me nowhere. Any tips to get me started in the right direction from here will be greatly appreciated :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 yd=30'=0.9144 m.

Daniel.

Last edited:
dextercioby,

"Nothing is more practical than a good theory"

Perhaps, but the best theory in the world won't do you much good if you think 1 yd = 30' :wink:

hmm, thanks for the hints, do you guys think that it'll be easier in yards?

what is the numerical solution yoyoma ?

marlon

i don't know the solution to it marlon.

"feet" i meant...' is for inch." is for feet.I reversed them.It's natural,i'm not an American.

Daniel.

dextercioby,

""feet" i meant...' is for inch." is for feet.I reversed them.It's natural,i'm not an American."

I guess we Americans are also the only ones who know that a yard is 36 inches, not 30. We are sooooooo smart! :wink:

What? A yard is 30 feet,i.e.360 inches...

Daniel.

1. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar quantity?

A vector quantity has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar quantity only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it has both speed and direction, while temperature is a scalar quantity because it only has a numerical value.

2. How do I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The equation for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between kinetic energy and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. For example, a moving ball has kinetic energy, while a ball at the top of a hill has potential energy.

4. How do I apply Newton's laws of motion to solve a problem?

First, identify the forces acting on the object in the problem. Then, use Newton's second law, F = ma, to calculate the net force. Finally, use Newton's third law to determine the reaction force and solve for the unknown quantity.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion of an object at rest, while kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object in motion. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction. Both types of friction depend on the coefficient of friction and the normal force.