Should my shoes match my pants or shirt?

• Thread starter sgstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Match
In summary, when it comes to deciding if your shoes should match your pants or shirt, the general rule is to choose one or the other. Matching your shoes to your pants creates a more cohesive and put-together look, while matching them to your shirt can add a pop of color or interest to your outfit. Ultimately, the decision should be based on personal preference and the overall style and occasion of the outfit.
sgstudent
If I had a grey pair of sneakers so they generally can go with say khaki pants. So what colors can my shirt be?

Gimme your fashion advice haha

Physics news on Phys.org
With sneakers there is no set rule. It depends what look you are going for and I've seen a lot of different looks done well. Usually you want to match your shirt, but it's not that set. I've seen someone wearing dark shirt with dark pants and then some awesome white sneakers for contrast. Just do what you feel looks good and feels comfortable.

With grey shoes you can wear just about any shirt color. I would shy away from tans or browns though.

sgstudent said:
If I had a grey pair of sneakers so they generally can go with say khaki pants. So what colors can my shirt be?

Gimme your fashion advice haha

Your shoes should match your belt, especially if you are wearing dress pants, slacks, or jeans with belt. Your shirt and pants are the ones that should be "color coordinated", but not matchy-matchy. If you have khaki pants, then wear either blue, or burgundy shirt for contrast.

I'm not doing sneakers! :)

Zz.

Just make sure your socks match! :biggrin:

327px-Reinhold_Bertlmann_showing_his_socks_%28Vienna%2C_30_Aug_2007%29.jpg

(Prof. Reinhold Bertlmann, of "Bertlmann's Socks" fame)

Bertlmann%27s_socks.png

In all seriousness, I just make sure that the dominant neutral matches my belt/shoes.

• If I'm wearing brown/earth tones, I wear brown shoes and belt.
  • If I'm wearing black/gray tones, I wear black shoes and belt.

I don't think that's a rule or anything, but I feel safe with it.

I've taken to only wearing blue-faced stainless watches because they work both ways. Nothing black or brown on my watches.

If my shoes matched my pants they would be blue with an imprinted [Y] on the upper.

Wear gumboots. Gumboots goes with everything.

Greg Bernhardt said:
With sneakers there is no set rule. It depends what look you are going for and I've seen a lot of different looks done well. Usually you want to match your shirt, but it's not that set. I've seen someone wearing dark shirt with dark pants and then some awesome white sneakers for contrast. Just do what you feel looks good and feels comfortable.

With grey shoes you can wear just about any shirt color. I would shy away from tans or browns though.

Grey shoes goes with any shirt colour. So as long as my pants mat cf s my shoes I'm good to go?

thanks haha

Colors can be coordinated?

FlexGunship said:
In all seriousness, I just make sure that the dominant neutral matches my belt/shoes.

• If I'm wearing brown/earth tones, I wear brown shoes and belt.
  • If I'm wearing black/gray tones, I wear black shoes and belt.

I don't think that's a rule or anything, but I feel safe with it.

I've taken to only wearing blue-faced stainless watches because they work both ways. Nothing black or brown on my watches.

It's not a rule, but I think it's a good rule of thumb.

http://imageshack.us/a/img90/6791/joq1.jpg

My colors. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gad said:
http://imageshack.us/a/img90/6791/joq1.jpg

My colors. :biggrin:

Looking good haha :)

What is your opinion on matching? I know that grey goes well with an Olive colored pants. But can I just wear like a blue T-shirt or do you think that looks stupid?

Last edited by a moderator:
sgstudent said:
Looking good haha :)

What is your opinion on matching? I know that grey goes well with an Olive colored pants. But can I just wear like a blue T-shirt or do you think that looks stupid?

It's not the color itself that you should consider, it's the degree of the color that matters. To make it easy, navy blue, is not like royal blue, not like sky blue, etc. Moreover, you need to be cautious when you wear sharp colored clothes, you need to make sure not to damage people's visions. :biggrin:

OK, I'm not really the one you need to listen to, just wear whatever makes you feel right and in harmony with your personality. :)

1. Should my shoes always match my pants?

No, it is not necessary for your shoes to always match your pants. You can mix and match different colors and patterns to create a unique and stylish look.

2. Should my shoes match my shirt?

Not necessarily. While matching your shoes to your shirt can create a cohesive and put-together look, it is not a strict rule. You can also mix and match different colors and patterns for a more creative outfit.

3. Can I wear different colored shoes with my pants or shirt?

Yes, you can definitely wear different colored shoes with your pants or shirt. Just make sure that the colors complement each other and create a cohesive look.

4. Is it important to match the material of my shoes with my pants or shirt?

Matching the material of your shoes with your pants or shirt is not a must, but it can enhance your overall outfit. For example, pairing leather shoes with a leather jacket can create a more polished and coordinated look.

5. What if I don't have shoes that match my pants or shirt?

If you don't have shoes that perfectly match your pants or shirt, don't worry! You can always opt for neutral colored shoes like black, white, or brown, which can go well with any outfit. You can also use accessories like belts or scarves to tie your outfit together.