How to Install Knoppix on Your Hard Disk - Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Zargawee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Hard
In summary, the conversation is about how to run Knoppix from the hard disk and make it one of the operating systems to choose from. The suggestion is to use the Knoppix installation procedure for hard disks. The person is excited to try it at home. They also discuss the benefits of Knoppix compared to Redhat 9, such as being more user-friendly and having a better interface. The question is raised about how to switch between Gnome and KDE, and it is explained that it can be done at the graphical login screen. There is also a discussion about playing MP3s on Knoppix and how to mount a FAT32 partition. The conversation ends with a thank you
Zargawee
Hello ,
Is there any way to get run knoppix from the Hard disk and make it one of the Operating systems to choose ?

I hope someone helps me :D

Computer science news on Phys.org
How about this:

http://www.phpcad.com/knoppix-install.html#Harddisk_Installation_Procedure

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much , I'll this at home :smile:

I've been playing with Knoppix STD and I think it's better then redhat 9. I can play all my MP3's on my win 98SE partition. I really like Knoppix is so user friendly and I like the interface better then bluecurve. Its also uses a KDE GUI instead of Gnome which I like better.

Redhat 9 comes with both gnome (bluecurve) and kde.

How do I switch between the two? Is it simple?

At the graphical login screen you can choose. You can also set the default.

[edit]Also, about playing the mp3 on xmms. Does Knoppix automount the fat32 parition. I know in redhat you can use the automount config or you can do it manually by typing "mount -t vfat /dev/hda? /mnt/windows" where '?' is the parition number. and if you want it to mount it at startup you add the line to fstab

Last edited:
Wow I learn something about it everyday. Thanks

1. What is Knoppix?

Knoppix is a free and open-source operating system based on the Linux kernel. It is known for its ability to run directly from a CD or USB drive without installation, making it a popular choice for live booting and system recovery.

2. Why would I want to install Knoppix on my hard disk?

Installing Knoppix on your hard disk allows you to have a fully functioning operating system on your computer, without the need for a CD or USB drive. This can be useful for daily use or for testing purposes, and allows for more customization and permanent data storage.

3. What are the minimum system requirements for installing Knoppix?

The minimum system requirements for installing Knoppix are a 64-bit processor, at least 2GB of RAM, and a minimum of 10GB of free hard disk space. However, for optimal performance, it is recommended to have a faster processor and more RAM.

4. How do I install Knoppix on my hard disk?

To install Knoppix on your hard disk, you will need to first download the ISO image from the official website. Then, you will need to create a bootable USB drive or burn the ISO image to a CD. After that, you can boot from the USB or CD and follow the on-screen instructions to install Knoppix on your hard disk.

5. Can I dual boot Knoppix with another operating system?

Yes, you can dual boot Knoppix with another operating system, such as Windows or macOS. During the installation process, you will have the option to resize your hard disk and create a new partition for Knoppix. This will allow you to choose which operating system to boot into when starting your computer.