How can I improve my back-scattered images with a scanning electron microscope?

In summary, the person is having trouble using the BSED on their scanning electron microscope. They are seeking advice on how to improve the image, and a suggestion is made to try using slower scan rates and considering the atomic weight of the sample.
bluetree
Hi,
I am working with a scanning electron microscope with the SED and it works fine. I have tried on several occasions to use the BSED without any success. All I get is a very faint dark image. Would you be able to give me some advice as to where I am going wrong?
Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tries hitting the auto-contrast/brightness button?

Back-scattered images can be difficult to generate, and the signal depends heavily on the atomic weight of your sample, detector position, as well as general good imaging practices. Also, doped silicon BSE detectors tend to be slower than SE detectors, so using slower scan rates could help

What is a scanning electron microscope?

A scanning electron microscope (SEM) is a scientific instrument that uses electron beams to produce high-resolution images of the surface of a sample. It is able to magnify an object up to 100,000 times, allowing for a detailed analysis of its structure and composition.

How does a scanning electron microscope work?

In a scanning electron microscope, a beam of electrons is focused on a small area of the sample surface. The electrons interact with the atoms in the sample, producing signals that are then detected and translated into an image by a computer. The electron beam is scanned across the sample, creating a 3D image of its surface.

What are the advantages of using a scanning electron microscope?

One of the main advantages of a scanning electron microscope is its high resolution. It can capture images with a much higher level of detail compared to traditional optical microscopes. Additionally, SEMs can analyze non-conductive materials, such as biological samples or plastics, without the need for special preparation techniques.

What are some common applications of scanning electron microscopes?

Scanning electron microscopes are used in a variety of fields, including materials science, biology, forensics, and nanotechnology. They are often used to study the surface structure of materials, investigate the composition of biological samples, and analyze the morphology of nanoparticles.

What are the limitations of scanning electron microscopes?

One limitation of SEMs is that they can only produce images of the sample's surface, not its internal structure. They are also expensive and require specialized training to operate. Additionally, the sample must be placed in a vacuum chamber, which can affect its natural state and limit the types of samples that can be analyzed.