Rank Osmosis Scenarios & Define Osmosis

In summary: You're right. That's exactly the point with osmosis. You're selectively mixing two solutions, one on each side of a membrane. The net flow of water is in one direction. So, on one side of the membrane, concentration of your solutes increases and on the other side it decreases until equilibrium is reached. That's why cells also need methods of active transport, otherwise, once equilibrium was reached, nothing else would happen. They need a way to pump stuff against the concentration gradient to maintain polarity across membranes in order for the cells to function properly.Oh ok. :blushing: Would it ever filter out so much of the solution it could 'clog' or '
dagg3r
Hey guys can someone help me with the osmosis scenarios and rank them in order of the most mass gained and also write a good definition of what osmosis is thanks.

thanks

first of all i have the following solutions
i have 5% sucrose in dialysis tube in distilled water - cup 1
i have 10% sucrose in dialysis tube in distilled water - cup 2
i have 20% sucrose in dialysis tube in distilled water - cup 3
i have 20% sucrose in (0.9% nacl solution - cup 4
i have 5% nacl in distilled water - cup 5

my definition of osmosis is what it think is the net movement of water molecules from area of high concentration to low concentration.

normally i would expect the higher concentration in the dialysis tube the more it will gain in mass but i got confused with the 5% nacl in distilled water and 20% sucrose in 0.9% nacl, i don't know which is more concentrated but would i assume 20% sucrose in 0.9% nacl isotonic? please rate the order you guys think from less increasing mass - most increasing mass i will have a shot and chose.

THE ORDER from 1 (lowest increasing mass ) to 5 ( most increasing mass)

1. cup 4
2. cup 1
3. cup 2
4 cup 5
5. cup 3

thats my guess is that right?

Biology news on Phys.org
The percentage is given considering the weight its the molarity that is conserned when it comes to osmoasis.
molarity of 0.9% NaCl is much higher than 20% sucrose.

And your definition of osmoasis is wrong.9you have to mention the semi permiable membrane)

As kusal mentioned, in your definition, you need to account for diffusion through a membrane.

I'm confused by the way your question is set up. Do cups 4 and 5 also have the sucrose or NaCl solution inside dialysis bags? Are you supposed to measure the mass gained inside the dialysis bag?

Since the NaCl solution is what is confusing you, keep in mind that dialysis bags are semi-permeable or selectively permeable. Small, water soluble ions, such as Na+ and Cl-, can pass through the membrane, while larger molecules, such as sucrose can't. How does that change your predictions?

Moonbear, this is related to what you said about the mass a bag would gain. Would it be possible for a solution to undergo osmosis and decrease in concentration?:bugeye: I don't know if that makes sense. I mean if you had NaCl dissolved in H2O and it undergoes osmosis and what you get after the osmosis is complete would have a smaller concentration of NaCl than before? I don't think that makes sense...I just confused myself...grrr...:devil:

misskitty said:
Moonbear, this is related to what you said about the mass a bag would gain. Would it be possible for a solution to undergo osmosis and decrease in concentration?:bugeye: I don't know if that makes sense. I mean if you had NaCl dissolved in H2O and it undergoes osmosis and what you get after the osmosis is complete would have a smaller concentration of NaCl than before? I don't think that makes sense...I just confused myself...grrr...:devil:

You're right. That's exactly the point with osmosis. You're selectively mixing two solutions, one on each side of a membrane. The net flow of water is in one direction. So, on one side of the membrane, concentration of your solutes increases and on the other side it decreases until equilibrium is reached. That's why cells also need methods of active transport, otherwise, once equilibrium was reached, nothing else would happen. They need a way to pump stuff against the concentration gradient to maintain polarity across membranes in order for the cells to function properly.

Oh ok. :blushing: Would it ever filter out so much of the solution it could 'clog' or 'plug' a few of the spaces where water flows from the higher concentration to the lower concentration because the cell didn't properly 'clean' the openings? I don't think those are the right terms. :uuh:

1. What is osmosis?

Osmosis is the movement of water molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration across a semi-permeable membrane.

2. What is a semi-permeable membrane?

A semi-permeable membrane is a membrane that allows certain molecules, like water, to pass through while preventing others, like larger molecules or ions, from passing through.

3. How does osmosis affect the concentration of solutes?

Osmosis can cause a change in the concentration of solutes on either side of the membrane. If water moves from an area of high solute concentration to an area of low solute concentration, the concentration of solutes will increase on the side with less water and decrease on the side with more water.

4. What are some real-life examples of osmosis?

Some real-life examples of osmosis include the movement of water from plant roots to leaves, the absorption of water by our cells, and the process of making pickles by osmosis of salt water into cucumbers.

5. How is osmosis used in scientific research?

Osmosis is used in scientific research to study the transport of molecules across membranes and to understand the effects of osmotic pressure on cells. It is also used in experiments to purify water, preserve food, and create artificial membranes for various applications.