Van der Waals Equation and specific heat

In summary, the problem involves finding the specific internal energy u=U/n and specific entropy s=S/n for a gas with constant specific heat cv and the van der waals equation of state. To find du, the equation dU = CvdT + [T(∂P/∂T)v - P]dv is used, with the van der waals equation substituted in for the term in parenthesis. However, the equation only applies to ideal gases and may need to be modified for non-ideal gases.
Kelsi_Jade
The problem reads:
Consider a gas with constant specific heat cv and the van der waals equation of state
(P+ a/v2)(v-b)=RT , where v=V/n

A) Find du and the specific internal energy u=U/n
B) Find ds and the specifi entropy s=S/n

Here's what I've tried so far:

A) I took the initial equation and subbed in the v=V/n :
(P+ a/(V/n)2)(V/n-b)=RT

I know that du= cvdT which can be rearranged cv = du/dT so that is where I can find the du is from the specific heat. However, I don't understand how the van der waals equation can be related mathematically to specific heat?
I know that a=a measure of attraction between particles and b=the volume excluded by a mol of particles. Do I need to solve for these first?

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kelsi_Jade said:
The problem reads:
Consider a gas with constant specific heat cv and the van der waals equation of state
(P+ a/v2)(v-b)=RT , where v=V/n

A) Find du and the specific internal energy u=U/n
B) Find ds and the specifi entropy s=S/n

Here's what I've tried so far:

A) I took the initial equation and subbed in the v=V/n :
(P+ a/(V/n)2)(V/n-b)=RT

I know that du= cvdT which can be rearranged cv = du/dT so that is where I can find the du is from the specific heat. However, I don't understand how the van der waals equation can be related mathematically to specific heat?
I know that a=a measure of attraction between particles and b=the volume excluded by a mol of particles. Do I need to solve for these first?

Any help is appreciated!
dU = cv only for an ideal gas. For a non-ideal gas, u also depends on pressure P. Have you learned the general equation for du in terms of dT and dP?

I found this equation:
dU=CvdT+ [T(∂P/∂T)v - P]dV
but it doesn't mention anything about being related to van der waals' equation so I'm not sure if this is relevant?? Honestly, our text doesn't go much into detail on van der waals so I'm pretty lost..

Kelsi_Jade said:
I found this equation:
dU=CvdT+ [T(∂P/∂T)v - P]dV
but it doesn't mention anything about being related to van der waals' equation so I'm not sure if this is relevant?? Honestly, our text doesn't go much into detail on van der waals so I'm pretty lost..
Your equation is supposed to apply to any gas (or liquid), so it should be applicable to a vdW gas. Yes, the vdW equation is relevant. So you substitute the vdW equation into the term in parenthesis. Incidentally, the dV should be dv.

First, let's rearrange the van der Waals equation to solve for P:
P = (RT/(v-b)) - (a/v^2)

Now, we can use the ideal gas law to relate pressure to temperature and volume:
PV = nRT
P = (nRT)/V

Substituting this into our rearranged van der Waals equation, we get:
(nRT)/V = (RT/(v-b)) - (a/v^2)

Simplifying, we get:
nRT = RT(1/(v-b)) - (a/v^2)

Now, we can rearrange this equation to solve for v:
v = (nRT + a)/(P + (nRT)/V)

Next, we can use the definition of specific internal energy (u = U/n) to find du:
du = cvdT = (nRT + a)/(P + (nRT)/V) * dT

We can also use the definition of specific entropy (s = S/n) to find ds:
ds = cvdT/T = (nRT + a)/(P + (nRT)/V) * dT/T

So, to summarize:
A) du = (nRT + a)/(P + (nRT)/V) * dT
B) ds = (nRT + a)/(P + (nRT)/V) * dT/T

To relate this back to the van der Waals equation, we can see that the specific heat (cv) is related to the term (nRT + a)/(P + (nRT)/V). This term takes into account the attractive forces between particles (a), the excluded volume (b), and the ideal gas behavior (nRT/V). Therefore, the van der Waals equation and specific heat are related through this term, which accounts for the non-ideal behavior of gases.

1. What is the Van der Waals Equation and how is it different from the Ideal Gas Law?

The Van der Waals Equation is an equation of state that describes the behavior of real gases, taking into account the intermolecular forces between gas molecules. It differs from the Ideal Gas Law in that it includes two additional terms, b and a, which account for the volume of the gas particles and the attractive forces between them, respectively.

2. How is the Van der Waals Equation derived?

The Van der Waals Equation is derived from the Ideal Gas Law by making two modifications. The first modification is to account for the volume of the gas particles by subtracting the term nb from the total volume. The second modification is to account for the attractive forces between gas molecules by adding the term n²a/V² to the pressure term.

3. What is the significance of the Van der Waals constants a and b?

The Van der Waals constants a and b are used to correct for the deviations of real gases from ideal gas behavior. The constant a takes into account the attractive forces between gas molecules, while b accounts for the volume of the gas particles. These constants vary depending on the specific gas being studied.

4. How is the Van der Waals Equation used to calculate specific heat?

The Van der Waals Equation can be used to calculate specific heat by rearranging the equation to solve for the change in internal energy (ΔU). Then, using the formula ΔU = nCvΔT, where n is the number of moles, Cv is the specific heat at constant volume, and ΔT is the change in temperature, the specific heat can be calculated.

5. What are the limitations of the Van der Waals Equation?

The Van der Waals Equation is only accurate for gases that are close to ideal gases, meaning that their molecules are far apart and have weak intermolecular forces. This equation also does not take into account other factors that may affect gas behavior, such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, it does not work well for gases at high pressures or low temperatures.