Strength In Single Crystals

In summary, the question involves calculating the yield stress of a single crystal alloy aircraft component, which is under tensile stress in the [102] direction and experiences slip on the (111) plane in the [101] direction. The yield stress can be determined using Schmid's law, which requires finding the critical resolved shear stress and using the dot product to find the cosine values of the load and slip directions. Drawing a cubic cell and treating the directions as vectors can aid in visualizing the problem. It is also important to determine the direction perpendicular to the slip plane.
edcurrymuncher
Hey, this was the question could someone please help?

"An aluminium single crystal alloy aircraft component is oriented such that a tensile stress is applied along a [102] direction. If slip in this material occurs on a (111) plane
and in a [101] direction, compute the yield stress at which the crystal yields if its critical resolved shear stress is 3.42MPa."

Engineering news on Phys.org
Suggest you do your own Schmid's law homework.

PS the [101] direction isn't a valid direction in the (111) plane.

I am no authority on the subject but I recently did a problem very similar to the one you're working on. And I believe the poster above me is correct in their assertion. In my problem, the applied load was [120], slip plane (111) and slip direction [110].

Something helpful (which I learned from my professors) is to draw the cubic cell with the indicated plane and directions. This will help you get a feel of what [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\lambda[/itex] look like. In addition to load and slip directions, you will also need to determine the direction perpendicular to the slip plane.

The key, however, is to use the dot product to find cos[itex]\phi[/itex] and cos[itex]\lambda[/itex]. In order to do this you will need to treat the three key directions as vectors.

Hopefully this was of some help to you.

What is strength in single crystals?

Strength in single crystals refers to the ability of a single crystal to resist stress and deformation without breaking. It is a measure of the material's ability to withstand external forces and maintain its structural integrity.

How is strength in single crystals measured?

Strength in single crystals is typically measured using tensile or compression tests, where a sample of the crystal is subjected to forces until it breaks. The amount of force required to break the crystal is then used to determine its strength.

What factors affect strength in single crystals?

The strength of a single crystal can be affected by a variety of factors, including the crystal's size and shape, the direction of the applied force, and the presence of any defects or impurities in the crystal lattice.

Why are single crystals stronger than polycrystalline materials?

Single crystals are stronger than polycrystalline materials because they have a more uniform and ordered atomic structure. In polycrystalline materials, the presence of grain boundaries between individual crystals can weaken the overall strength of the material.

What are the applications of strength in single crystals?

Strength in single crystals is important in many fields, including materials science, engineering, and geology. It is used to design and develop stronger and more durable materials for various applications, such as in aerospace, electronics, and medical devices.