Osmotic pressure, question on derivation (TD)

In summary, the author is trying to find the thermodynamic probability of a particle entering a solution from a gas. He starts by solving for the numerator which is 1-(1+2+3+...)v/V. He then plugs this into the denominator which is 1-v/V_0. However, because the numerator was divided by V to obtain 1-v/V the denominator must also be (V/V_0)^(n-1).
nossren
I'm currently reading about thermodynamics and osmosis and I happened to stumble across this paper. There is one thing I don't really understand, though.. In chapter 8 the author wishes to give a thermodynamic explanation of the osmotic pressure so I've been reading through the derivation. When calculating the thermodynamic probability W (page 20), how do I go from (11) to (12)?

http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0305/0305011.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
since v/V is small, the author expanded the expression in a Taylor series expansion and dropped any terms that are quadratic (or higher powers) in v/V, keeping only the independent and linear terms. This is called linearizing the equation - a very common device.

Would you mind elaborating on the taylor expansion?

a Taylor expansion is an expansion of a function in a power series. It is taught in calculus class. All you need here is the fact that 1/(1 + v/V) can be replaced with 1 - v/V when v << V. Do that and collect all the linear terms. For instance

(1+v/V)(1+2v/V)(1+3v/V) = 1 + (1+2+3) v/V + ...

where the dots represent quadratic or higher terms that were dropped from the equation.

I'm still not following. I solved it for the numerator, which yielded 1-(1+2+3+...)v/V. By reverse engineering (12), the denominator must be [itex]1-v/V_0[/itex]. But since the numerator was divided by V to obtain 1-v/V the denominator must too. How do I solve it for the denominator?

$$
V_0/V - v/V
$$

Last edited:
As I said, you can replace 1/(V0 - nv) = (1/V0)1/(1 - nv/V0) with (1/V0)(1 + nv/V0).

I did that, and now I get (after dropping higher power terms)
$$
(V/V_0)^{n-1} \cdot (1 - v/V + v/V_0 -2v/V + 2v/V_0 - ...) = (V/V_0)^{n-1} \cdot (1 - (1+2+3+...)v/V + (1+2+3+...)v/V_0)
$$
which leaves me with a (V/V_0)^(n-1) in front of the wanted expression. I don't see how to get around this.

bump

also meant to say (V/V_0)^n

1. What is osmotic pressure?

Osmotic pressure is the pressure that must be applied to a solution to prevent the flow of solvent into it through a semipermeable membrane.

2. How is osmotic pressure calculated?

Osmotic pressure can be calculated using the formula π = iMRT, where π is the osmotic pressure, i is the van't Hoff factor (the number of particles into which a solute dissociates), M is the molarity of the solution, R is the gas constant, and T is the absolute temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is the van't Hoff factor?

The van't Hoff factor is a dimensionless quantity that represents the number of particles into which a solute dissociates in a solution. For example, a solute that dissociates into two ions in solution would have a van't Hoff factor of 2.

4. Can you explain the derivation of the osmotic pressure formula?

The osmotic pressure formula can be derived from the ideal gas law and the concept of osmotic equilibrium. It involves considering the concentration gradient and the flow of solvent into a solution through a semipermeable membrane.

5. How is osmotic pressure related to other types of pressure, such as hydrostatic pressure?

Osmotic pressure is related to hydrostatic pressure in that both involve a force exerted on a solution. However, osmotic pressure only applies to solutions separated by a semipermeable membrane, while hydrostatic pressure can apply to any fluid.