Moments Q: Determining EI Beam Distribution

• Thread starter zahraa1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, the question is asking to determine the distribution of moment for a beam with constant elasticity and EI throughout its length. In the solution, the moments M_A and M_C are replaced with qL^2/18, which is equivalent to the cantilevered portions of the beam ends. The replacement is done using simple statics and the magnitudes of the moments about A and C are expected to be equal.
zahraa1
The question I'm attempting to do is part (a):

http://www.picpaste.com/struc1-z7FJMCcF.jpg

which translates to: determine distribution of moment, The beam is elastic and has constant EI throughout its entire length. Now part of the solution looks like this:

http://www.picpaste.com/struc2-8VGlrDU7.png

My question is how the moments M_A and M_C replaced with (i.e. equal to) qL^2/18 in this solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
My question is how the moments M_A and M_C replaced with (i.e. equal to) qL^2/18 in this solution?
Looking at the distribution in the diagram, it certainly looks like the magnitudes of the moments about A and C should be the same (opposite directions).
Have you tried calculating them?

The cantilevered portions of the beam ends were replaced with equivalent moments Ma and Mc using simple statics.

What is the purpose of determining EI beam distribution?

The purpose of determining EI beam distribution is to understand the structural behavior of a beam under load. This information is crucial for designing and constructing safe and efficient structures.

How is EI beam distribution calculated?

EI beam distribution is calculated by multiplying the modulus of elasticity (E) of the material by the moment of inertia (I) of the beam. This value represents the stiffness of the beam and is used to determine how it will deform under load.

What factors affect EI beam distribution?

The factors that affect EI beam distribution include the material properties of the beam, the shape and cross-sectional area of the beam, and the type and magnitude of the applied load.

Why is EI beam distribution important in structural design?

EI beam distribution is important in structural design because it helps engineers determine the maximum allowable loads for a beam and ensures that the beam will not fail or deform excessively under these loads. It also allows for the optimization of beam dimensions to reduce material and construction costs.

How does EI beam distribution differ for different types of beams?

EI beam distribution can vary for different types of beams, such as cantilever beams, simply supported beams, and continuous beams. This is because the shape, supports, and loading conditions of the beam can affect the distribution of moments and therefore, the stiffness of the beam.