Calculating BJT Voltage and Current Gain for Given Circuit

In summary, the current through RL definitely should be Iout. However, you could imagine an additional load in parallel with RL, with Iout going into that additional load.
etf
Hi!
Here is my task:
Calculate voltage gain Av and current gain Ai for circuit on scheme .
scheme.JPG

I don't know how to calculate Ai. I got that Av=-gm*rce*Rc*Rl/(Rc*Rl+rce*(Rc+Rl)) and it matches with solution given in my textbook.
I know that Ai=Iout/Iin but which current is Iout? Ai should be gm*rce/((rce+Rc*Rl/(Rc+Rl))*(1/R1+1/R2+1/rpi)).

Physics news on Phys.org
Iout is the current through the load, RL.

Likes 1 person
It seemed to me also that Iout is current through Rl but when I calculate Iout/Iin it doesn't match with solution in textbook :(

The current that corresponds to gm*rce/((rce+Rc*Rl/(Rc+Rl))*(1/R1+1/R2+1/rpi)) is the total collector current; the sum of the currents in Rc and RL.

Likes 1 person
etf said:
It seemed to me also that Iout is current through Rl but when I calculate Iout/Iin it doesn't match with solution in textbook :(
Well, the current through RL definitely should be Iout.

However, you could imagine an additional load in parallel with RL, with Iout going into that additional load. But this is just equivalent to making RL smaller.

@The Electrician
Does Iout depend of circuit configuration or it is always Ic? What would be Iout for this circuit:
dilema.JPG

?

I would say that what Iout is, depends on the intention of the problem originator.

Iout for the circuit in post #1 is the sum of the currents in Rc and RL because that's what gives the answer from your book.

Iout for the circuit you show in post #6 could be the total current out of the emitter of Q1, or it could be the current only in a load connected to Vout.

Here is current gain for circuit in my previous post:
Ai=(1+gm*R3pi)*rce/(R12E+rce), where R12E=R1||R2||RE, R3pi=R3||rpi.
Really tricky for me...

What is the definition of current gain you have used? Is it the total emitter current, or something else?

etf said:
Here is current gain for circuit in my previous post:
Ai=(1+gm*R3pi)*rce/(R12E+rce), where R12E=R1||R2||RE, R3pi=R3||rpi.
Really tricky for me...

If I take Iout to be the sum of the currents in R1, R2 and RE then I get your result. Is that what you used for Iout?

The Electrician said:
What is the definition of current gain you have used? Is it the total emitter current, or something else?
We did in class basic BJT amplifier configurations (common base, common collector and common emittor) and Iout is differently defined for every configuration. Maybe my task is incomplete, it should be emphasized what Iout is I think.
Thanks for help guys!

What is a BJT current gain problem?

A BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) current gain problem refers to a situation where the current gain of a BJT is not meeting the expected value. This could be due to various factors such as incorrect circuit design, aging of the transistor, or temperature effects.

How is current gain calculated for a BJT?

The current gain, also known as hFE, for a BJT is calculated by dividing the collector current (IC) by the base current (IB). This value is usually given in the transistor's datasheet and can vary depending on the operating conditions.

What are the factors that affect BJT current gain?

The current gain of a BJT can be affected by various factors such as temperature, collector-emitter voltage, collector current, and base current. It is important to consider these factors when designing a circuit to ensure the desired current gain is achieved.

How can a BJT current gain problem be solved?

If a BJT current gain problem is encountered, it can be solved by first identifying the cause of the issue. This could involve checking the circuit design, replacing the transistor, or adjusting the operating conditions. It may also be helpful to refer to the transistor's datasheet for recommended values and operating conditions.

What is the typical range for BJT current gain?

The current gain of a BJT can vary greatly and is usually given as a range in the transistor's datasheet. For general purpose transistors, the range is typically between 100-300, but can go up to 1000 or higher for high-frequency transistors.