I downloaded latex typer and installed it fine

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter lawtonfogle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about the usage of a program called latex typer. The speaker has successfully downloaded and installed the program, but is having trouble understanding how to use it. They have tried opening it in Word, but have been unsuccessful. They are seeking help in fixing the issue and mention that they have Windows XP with Office 2003. The expert suggests reading up on latex and recommends using a program like WinEdt to make compiling and converting files easier. They also suggest finding a template to start with.
lawtonfogle
I downloaded latex typer and installed it fine, i even have the icon on my desktop, but HOW DO I USE IT :confused: :frown:

when i open it up, I can not understand any of what it is saying, and i know it does not work on Word, so can anyone help me fix it? I have windows XP with office 2003 if that is any help.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all you need to know that latex is not a program you can open and type your document as you are used to in Word. Latex is just a typesetter. To begin with you can read the first chapters of http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf to get a fell of what latex is.

To start working with latex I would recommend that you take a look at http://www.math.aau.dk/~dethlef/Tips/ it is easy to setup and get working. Other people will have different ideas about what editor is the best for typing your latex source files.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose the tex platform is downloaded, and that is MikTex, or sth similar. Then you have to write the .tex document either in a simple text editor, or in a more advanced graphical editor. For windows I suggest WinEdt. It makes it easier to compile the tex file to a div image, or if you want, convert it to a pdf.
For a start I suggest you to find a ready template for a LaTex document and fill it with the details.

1. What is LaTeX Typer and what is it used for?

LaTeX Typer is a software program used for creating and formatting documents using the LaTeX typesetting language. It is commonly used for academic and technical documents, as well as for creating mathematical equations and symbols.

2. How do I download and install LaTeX Typer?

To download and install LaTeX Typer, you can visit the official website or download it from a trusted software repository. Once downloaded, you can follow the installation instructions provided by the program.

3. Can I use LaTeX Typer on any operating system?

Yes, LaTeX Typer is compatible with most operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, it may be necessary to install additional software or packages for certain features to work properly on different operating systems.

4. Is there a cost for using LaTeX Typer?

No, LaTeX Typer is a free and open-source software program. It can be downloaded and used without any cost.

5. Do I need to have programming knowledge to use LaTeX Typer?

While some basic understanding of programming concepts may be helpful, it is not necessary to have extensive programming knowledge to use LaTeX Typer. The program has a user-friendly interface and provides helpful resources for beginners.