Analyzing the Controversy: Evaluating the Presidency of George W. Bush

• News
  • Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
International Court of Justice?In summary, the conversation started with the question of whether anyone had a positive assertion to make about Bush. One person did share a positive belief, but others quickly turned the conversation into a discussion about Bush's decisions and actions. Some argued that he has done a number of good things, but others expressed concerns about his motives and decisions being based on religious beliefs. The conversation also touched on the importance of tolerance and the potential consequences of extremist viewpoints. The conversation ended with a question about why the US administration fears the International Court of Justice.
Originally posted by Gale17
i prefer bush over gore, but that doesn't say much. I think gore just would've sat around and done nothing... at least bush is stimulating the media... entertaining...

If we find out years from now that going into iraq was a good thing, then i think bush would've been the only one to do it. So go bush! ...course like Mattius said, its a retrospect thing. Right now we can't really tell whether it was good or bad. I also agree with him pretty much on bush's 'lying' or whatever. He had an agenda sure, wmd was just a means of getting the public to agree with him. He is a good leader... he got most of america steeming with pride, ready to go blow up foriegners, and really half of it wasn't even true. But, again, if we find out later on that it was all worth it, then he's a great guy...

Lets see though... concrete things that bush has done well... i dunno.
So, if he tells lies that make people happy, it is ok to lie? Don't you think that it is slightly dangerous to act first, and hope it works out later?

And, do you seriously think that anyone who was president would have done nothing after an attack?

Physics news on Phys.org
So far, we have 'Bush is a good leader' and 'Bush isn't afraid to lie to get his way'...are these two ideas compatable?

So, if he tells lies that make people happy, it is ok to lie? Don't you think that it is slightly dangerous to act first, and hope it works out later?

And, do you seriously think that anyone who was president would have done nothing after an attack?

No, i don't think he'd have done nothing but i doubt he'd go to war, or do too much counter stuff at all. He'd just patch things up, try and make people happy, not stir too much up. Which is fine i guess, but yeah, action imo is better. Which, answers your other question. Action at least keeps things stimulated. And there risk in everything anyways, so sure it may be dangerous to act first, but the question is, "is it worth it." and we don't know yet. We don't know what he knows, we don't know what other agendas he was pushing. And yes, its ok to lie. He is a politician. if it works out in the end, i might think less of his personal morals, but better of him as a leader who got the job done.

No, i don't think he'd have done nothing but i doubt he'd go to war, or do too much counter stuff at all. He'd just patch things up, try and make people happy, not stir too much up. Which is fine i guess, but yeah, action imo is better. Which, answers your other question. Action at least keeps things stimulated. And there risk in everything anyways, so sure it may be dangerous to act first, but the question is, "is it worth it." and we don't know yet. We don't know what he knows, we don't know what other agendas he was pushing. And yes, its ok to lie. He is a politician. if it works out in the end, i might think less of his personal morals, but better of him as a leader who got the job done.
Is attacking always the answer? And I'm confused about your use of the word 'stimulated'...

And, to play devil's advocate here...if he is lying about his motives, how can you trust anything he says or does? What if his real motivation is to follow the voices in his head, beamed by microwave from Altair IV? Or, just the normal accusation, which is the quest to control the world's oil supplies.

So far, we have 'Bush is a good leader' and 'Bush isn't afraid to lie to get his way'...are these two ideas compatable?

guess it depends on what you think a good leader is...

guess it depends on what you think a good leader is...
Well, some people consider things like integrity to matter...and some don't.

And, to play devil's advocate here...if he is lying about his motives, how can you trust anything he says or does? What if his real motivation is to follow the voices in his head, beamed by microwave from Altair IV? Or, just the normal accusation, which is the quest to control the world's oil supplies.

He's the president... i didn't vote for him... but a lot of other people did. I don't trust him and more than i would any other human being, less because he's so much power. But he's making things happen, which i think is better than nothing happening, so i don't care what his motives are right now.
Now, I'm first going to assume that if he heard voices or was beamed here that someone would have caught on... unless its some huge conspiracy, in which case, i'll just stay out of it. Conspiracies aren't my bag. If it's to control oil, then whatever. We're America, we're supposed to try and dominate everyone aren't we? I mean that seriously though. I think bush is just American, he's doing exactly what America wants, most anyways, which is what a president's supposed to do.

He's the president... i didn't vote for him... but a lot of other people did. I don't trust him and more than i would any other human being, less because he's so much power. But he's making things happen, which i think is better than nothing happening, so i don't care what his motives are right now.
Now, I'm first going to assume that if he heard voices or was beamed here that someone would have caught on... unless its some huge conspiracy, in which case, i'll just stay out of it. Conspiracies aren't my bag. If it's to control oil, then whatever. We're America, we're supposed to try and dominate everyone aren't we? I mean that seriously though. I think bush is just American, he's doing exactly what America wants, most anyways, which is what a president's supposed to do.
Wow. I am suddenly scared for the future of America.

Wow. I am suddenly scared for the future of America.

why?

Well Zero, You seemed to have skipped over my post altogether, should that be considered a form of deception? Is deception a form of lying?

Nonetheless, I will skip it with you, because i got my point across last post.

Now then, as far as your battle against falsehood Zero, i would say that without lying, we would still be in caves...

Lying gets things done. Its a way of life, my sister nannies for these 2 kids, one is 5 the other is 2, we gave the 2 year old a box of m&ms to share with her brother, she gave him some, ate some, and then hid the rest of the candy in her car seat. When we asked her to share with her brother again she told us it was all gone.

Lying is apart of evolution, that is where intelligence comes in, if you can lie and get away with it, more power to you! You get the m&ms, the other person can starve, Natural Selection!

I'd just like to say that zero, mattius, i love you guys. You're so cool. politics must bring out the best in people.

Heh, Zero and I have a 'love to hate' relationship... We are always waiting for each other to slip up. The kind of debate that stems from this relationship is often humourous, as it is now...

Originally posted by Mattius_
What did i say before?

In my opinion, the Iraqi war had very little to do with Iraq. When i said:

Those 'other things' include economic issues, society issues, and the fact it was inherently easy because of our people's general sentiments to the middle-east, and the fact that we could justify it by screaming TERRORRISM!

And ofcourse, along the way, we take a dictator out in the name of 'freedom.'

So, to respond to your question, Id say that you participated in libel, and misrepresented me to the rest of this forum, apologize.
That's funny...libel? Pblackffft!

Oh, by teh way,,,you are describing America as a rogue nation that should be nuked soonest...care to reconsider?

Well Zero, You seemed to have skipped over my post altogether, should that be considered a form of deception? Is deception a form of lying?

Nonetheless, I will skip it with you, because i got my point across last post.

Now then, as far as your battle against falsehood Zero, i would say that without lying, we would still be in caves...

Lying gets things done. Its a way of life, my sister nannies for these 2 kids, one is 5 the other is 2, we gave the 2 year old a box of m&ms to share with her brother, she gave him some, ate some, and then hid the rest of the candy in her car seat. When we asked her to share with her brother again she told us it was all gone.

Lying is apart of evolution, that is where intelligence comes in, if you can lie and get away with it, more power to you! You get the m&ms, the other person can starve, Natural Selection!
What's next? martial law, maybe go ahead and install a theocracy?

If it's to control oil, then whatever. We're America, we're supposed to try and dominate everyone aren't we? I mean that seriously though. I think bush is just American, he's doing exactly what America wants, most anyways, which is what a president's supposed to do.

Whow ... I am learning a lot reading these straight and clear posts.
But reading Zero's posts and some other I am pleased to noticed that Gale17 and Mattius posts don't reflect the view of all Americans.

For those who find the Bible important ... One of the Ten Commandments (form which some Americans seems to be exempted) states :
"9.__ You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor."
( Gossiping or telling lies or saying false things about others (in court or anywhere) is against God's law.)
http://www.quietwaters.org/ten_copmmandments.htm

Interpretation: http://billboardsforchrist.org/commandments_viii,_ix,_x.htm#Commandment IX.
" "False" means not true, wrong, lying, dishonest, incorrect. "Testimony" means making a statement under the promise to tell the truth, a declaration of truth. "Neighbor" means any person at all.
satan is the father of lies: John 8:44 - Jesus said to those who opposed Him, "You belong to your father the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."___ See_ Acts 5:3,_ Rev 21:8_".

Of course there are some more Commandments.

Waiting now for a post telling me that this is out of focus.

Originally posted by pelastration
Whow ... I am learning a lot reading these straight and clear posts.
But reading Zero's posts and some other I am pleased to noticed that Gale17 and Mattius posts don't reflect the view of all Americans.

For those who find the Bible important ... One of the Ten Commandments (form which some Americans seems to be exempted) states :
"9.__ You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor."
( Gossiping or telling lies or saying false things about others (in court or anywhere) is against God's law.)
http://www.quietwaters.org/ten_copmmandments.htm

Interpretation: http://billboardsforchrist.org/commandments_viii,_ix,_x.htm#Commandment IX.
" "False" means not true, wrong, lying, dishonest, incorrect. "Testimony" means making a statement under the promise to tell the truth, a declaration of truth. "Neighbor" means any person at all.
satan is the father of lies: John 8:44 - Jesus said to those who opposed Him, "You belong to your father the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."___ See_ Acts 5:3,_ Rev 21:8_".

Of course there are some more Commandments.

Waiting now for a post telling me that this is out of focus.
Yeah, just a little out of focus...care to try to bring it all to a point?

Oh, by teh way,,,you are describing America as a rogue nation that should be nuked soonest...care to reconsider?

Listen, your morals are far apart from mine, that is your interpretation, not mine... My interpretation is to view things as they are, and then defend the common sense that human nature produces!

Your interpretation is to view things as they are, and then attach your thoughts on how things should be... A romantic approach, but, inevitably, a catastrophic failure...

Dont tell nature how it is supposed to work, nature is the only denominator that is true... don't tell truth it is wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:

Listen, your morals are far apart from mine, that is your interpretation, not mine... My interpretation is to view things as they are, and then defend the common sense that human nature produces!

Your interpretation is to view things as they are, and then attach your thoughts on how things should be... A romantic approach, but, inevitably, a catastrophic failure...

Dont tell nature how it is supposed to work, nature is the only denominator that is true... don't tell truth it is wrong...
Hmmmm...sounds like someone is angry?

So, you say that 'human nature' means that the stong should take from the weak, the powerful should ignore the needs of the powerless, and that might makes right?

Not mad at all, hmmm maybe it was because i was listening to eminem... lol

So, you say that 'human nature' means that the stong should take from the weak, the powerful should ignore the needs of the powerless, and that might makes right?

I say that an individual should do whatever he can do advance himself... If people are victimized along the way, tough cookies, that's life... When a human advances itself, the human race subsequently advances as well... Isnt that what we are all aiming for?

Now, please don't confuse my ideology with the implication that i support the harm of people regularly... As i said before, If an individual does something to help himself, then let it be done...

I will soon be volunteering at a homeless shelter, I do it because it makes me feel good inside...

This would be a good example of an individual helping himself advance spiritually, right? So, once he feels confident about himself, he goes onto bigger and brighter things.

There you go...

Somehow, you skirt the edges of being a sociopath...tell me, where does that come from? I know where it comes from with Bush: failing at everything and still advancing, the psychology of an addict...what's your excuse?

so·ci·o·path ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ss--pth, -sh-)
n.
One who is affected with a personality disorder marked by antisocial behavior.

Forgive me for being so literal, but this isn't what you meant was it?

so·ci·o·path ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ss--pth, -sh-)
n.
One who is affected with a personality disorder marked by antisocial behavior.

Forgive me for being so literal, but this isn't what you meant was it?
If people are victimized along the way, tough cookies, that's life

You tell me, boss...I'm not calling you a sociopath, but some of your statements certainly come close to the definition, don't they?

I can get attached to people, my best friend is in the last leg of his life, 4 years of slow decomposure, all for nothing... Doesnt get much more demoralizing...

This is my conclusion, be objective, be fair, be without emotion when you make decisions.

I don't doubt your ability to empathise with people one-on-one...I do see a disconnect between you and those you would probably consider to be 'other'.

Everything is mathematical... Issues have values, values which are determined by units.

death of a few hundred people for cause 'X' can be expressed in a mathematical equation. The difficult part is assinging values.

Emotion distorts values, it amplifies individual tragedies to more then they really are. That is why the lack of emotion integral to assigning values to issues. Ofcourse, It may come off as sociopathical to the ignorant.

Everything is mathematical... Issues have values, values which are determined by units.

death of a few hundred people for cause 'X' can be expressed in a mathematical equation. The difficult part is assinging values.

Emotion distorts values, it amplifies individual tragedies to more then they really are. That is why the lack of emotion integral to assigning values to issues. Ofcourse, It may come off as sociopathical to the ignorant.
I think YOU are the one who ignores human nature. It is 'ignorant' to assume that anyone can divorce themselves from emotion entirely.

And, I think we have gone WAY off-topic.

So, what do we have in favor of Bush? He tells lies people like, he does stuff(no consideration on whether his actions are useful or not', and he 'leads'. Low casualities against nations that apparently weren't a threat. Anything else?

I never said i have tried to branch myself from emotion entirely, that is proposturous.

What i said was that emotion in an important decision(in a leadership position) is bad. You can be emotional in day to day life, but you must leave emotion out when dealing with principal problems...

I never said i have tried to branch myself from emotion entirely, that is proposturous.

What i said was that emotion in an important decision(in a leadership position) is bad. You can be emotional in day to day life, but you must leave emotion out when dealing with principal problems...
I don't think Bush does that, exactly...I think he simply doesn't care about people who don't give him money.

Money is a variable for human advancement, isn't it?

Money is a variable for human advancement, isn't it?
Depends on whether or not you are a sociopath or not...

money is a possesion, possesions advance the human race, kinda like that possesion your typing on.

Last edited by a moderator:
money is a possesion, possesions advance the human race, kinda like that possesion your typing on.
Jeez, I thought it was things like knowledge and freedom that advanced the human race, not greed and disregard for our fellow humans...

This is my conclusion, be objective, be fair, be without emotion when you make decisions.

Be objective ? ... You said lying is allowed.
Be fair ? ... You said lying is allowed.
Make you decisions without emotions ... and without ethics, without respect?
Boy ... there is a lot of experience you have to go through in this life.

Mattius,

I hope sincerely that you will never meet someone that sees and treats you like on object or as a quantity of meat. That seems the way you look to others. Objects, like Nintendo manikins.

Jeez, I thought it was things like knowledge and freedom that advanced the human race, not greed and disregard for our fellow humans...

Greed and disregard for other humans(in a rational way) are products of freedom. Knowledge comes when people build empires of wealth produced by freedom.

I hope sincerely that you will never meet someone that sees and treats you like on object or as a quantity of meat. That seems the way you look to others. Objects, like Nintendo manikins.

What is Capitalism people? I'll tell you, Capitalism is everything i have said previously! Greed, Self-betterment, and manipulation of other humans. What has Capitalism created? It has created the greatest body of knowledge ever known in history.

You don't like the 3 variables that make up capitalism? Go somewhere else and see how many calories you get a day!