How to write out formulas in MIcrosoft Word

• Thread starter physicszman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation discusses how to write formulas in Microsoft Word and how to make them appear professional, with a helpful link and instructions on using the built-in equation editor in MS Word. The conversation also mentions the availability of this feature in different versions of Word and suggests experimenting to become familiar with it.
physicszman
Hello,

I was just curious as to how I can write formulas out in Microsoft Word. I am doing a lab report and want to make it look more professional by makeing the equations and calculations appear xactly like the ones in the book. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreaciated.

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
A google search found this:
http://www.ele.uri.edu/Courses/ele343/tutorials/word.equations/wordequations.html

Last edited:
Fantastic! Thanks alot!

physicszman said:
Fantastic! Thanks alot!

Dude
Could you tell me how to differential equations in microsoft word.
link post in the above reply is not available now.

Just Google it. Word has a built-in equation editor.

select:

insert-> object -> Microsoft equation editor

You will need to scroll down a list to get to the Equation editor

MS Word for Windows 7.0 has a built-in equation editor that is much better than its earlier versions. At the top menu bar select 'insert', then on the r.h. side select 'Equation'. You have to play with it a bit to find everything (like where the vector notation is, and how to enter derivatives, etc). Once you experiment a bit, it comes fairly intuitively.

1. How do I write a chemical formula in Microsoft Word?

To write a chemical formula in Microsoft Word, you can use the subscript and superscript formatting options. Select the element or number you want to format, then go to the "Font" tab and check the box next to "Subscript" or "Superscript". Alternatively, you can use the shortcut keys "Ctrl + =" for subscript and "Ctrl + Shift + =" for superscript.

2. Can I insert a chemical structure or diagram in Microsoft Word?

Yes, you can insert a chemical structure or diagram in Microsoft Word using the "Insert" tab and selecting "Shapes". From there, you can choose from a variety of pre-made shapes or draw your own. You can also insert images or use external software to create the diagram and then insert it into your Word document.

3. How do I write mathematical equations in Microsoft Word?

To write mathematical equations in Microsoft Word, you can use the "Equation" tool under the "Insert" tab. This will open a new tab with various options for creating equations, including pre-made templates and symbols. You can also use the shortcut "Alt + =" to insert an equation.

4. Is there a way to format chemical formulas for chemical reactions in Microsoft Word?

Yes, you can use the "Chemical Markup Language" (CML) add-in for Microsoft Word to format chemical formulas for chemical reactions. This add-in allows you to input chemical formulas and equations in a standardized format, making it easier to share and collaborate on chemistry documents.

5. Can I save my formulas and equations in Microsoft Word for future use?

Yes, you can save your formulas and equations in Microsoft Word for future use by creating a custom equation or formula gallery. To do this, select the equation or formula, then click on the arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Equation" tab. From there, you can select "Save Selection to Equation Gallery" and give it a name for easy access in the future.