The attraction of light by gravity

In summary, light follows the geodesic paths proposed by Einstein, which can be visualized as a race car on a banked curve. It is not slowed down by a gravitational field, but it is redshifted as it does work to escape the force of gravity. The PBS program "Nova: The Elegant Universe" offers more information on this topic.
The Sphinx
Could you please give me some brief explanation of the attraction of light by gravity. Or maybe some links where I can read something about it. :)

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Very briefly, light follows the geodesic paths that Einstein proposed rather than actual 'straight' lines. Where spacetime is distorted by a gravitational field, the photons follow the 'surface'... sort of like a race car on a banked curve.

PBS has a program called Nova: The Elegant Universe that you can watch over the internet that tells about light following the dips in space as if it were a blanket. It's been over a year since I watched them so I don't remember which episode explains what your looking for. But I know they're all worth your time to watch, as theyre very interesting, and one of them does have a lot of useful information about light and gravity.

The Effect of Gravity on Light

I once read that light is slowed down by a gravitational field.
Later, I read that spacetime contorts and c remains the same.
Which is true?

L.A.

Larry717 said:
I once read that light is slowed down by a gravitational field.
Later, I read that spacetime contorts and c remains the same.
Which is true?

L.A.

close...the speed of light doesn't change but its is redshifted, for example, let's say light was escaping the gravitational field of a large star, the light would have to do work to escape it (its force of gravity) so it would use up some of its energy, therefore lowering the frequency. so having the frequency lowered the colour you observer will be more to the left side of the em spectrum then it actually is.

1. What is the attraction of light by gravity?

The attraction of light by gravity is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. It suggests that light, which has no mass, can still be affected by the gravitational pull of massive objects, causing it to bend as it passes through space.

2. How does this phenomenon occur?

According to general relativity, gravity is not just a force between massive objects, but it is the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy. As light travels through this curved space, it follows the path of least resistance, which can be influenced by the presence of massive objects.

3. Is this attraction of light by gravity the same as gravitational lensing?

Yes, the attraction of light by gravity is the same as gravitational lensing. Gravitational lensing is the bending of light by the gravitational pull of massive objects, and it is a direct consequence of the attraction of light by gravity predicted by general relativity.

4. Can this phenomenon be observed in everyday life?

While the attraction of light by gravity is a significant phenomenon in the universe, it cannot be observed in everyday life. This is because the gravitational pull of everyday objects, such as the Earth, is too weak to noticeably affect the path of light.

5. How is the attraction of light by gravity important in astrophysics?

The attraction of light by gravity is crucial in understanding and studying the behavior of light in the presence of massive objects in the universe. It has been used to explain various observations, such as the bending of starlight near the Sun and the creation of multiple images of distant objects by massive galaxies. It also plays a significant role in the study of dark matter and dark energy, which are thought to make up a majority of the universe's mass and energy.