Helicopter Wake Impact on Water: Depression or Waves?

• Thread starter frosty
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of a hovering helicopter on a body of water. One person argues that the helicopter will cause both a depression and waves, while the other believes it will only create waves. The solution is to use Bernoulli's equation to determine the depth of the depression. The key factor is the downwash force of the helicopter, which is equal to its weight divided by the surface area.
frosty
hi guys,
this is my first post..been a reader of the forum for some time. here's an argument i had with someone today. suppose a helicopter is hovering still over a lake/deep enough pool of water. also, it is wide enough. the chopper is close to the water (for eg...dropping a swimmer or a marine...basically close!)
will the chopper cause any depression (i.e cavity) of certain depth? or will it just set waves. i feel there is going to be a certain depression and also waves and that i can analyse the problem as a uniform airflow impinging on a wall of water with a central line from the center of the chopper to a "stagnation" point on the water surface. my friend feels that the assuming of the wall is not justified and that it is just going to set of waves.
comments? not a well defined problem. maybe to make it well defined: what is the depth of the cavity?? (:

Physics news on Phys.org
It will cause a depression. You can solve Bernoulli's equation to figure out how much.

- Warren

Hint: the downwash force is equal to the weight of the chopper. This divided by the area gives pressure.

1. What is helicopter wake impact on water?

Helicopter wake impact on water refers to the disturbance or disruption caused by a helicopter's rotor blades as it hovers or flies over a body of water. This can result in either a depression (or dip) in the water's surface or waves.

2. How does a helicopter's rotor blades create an impact on water?

A helicopter's rotor blades create an impact on water due to the difference in pressure above and below the blades. As the blades rotate, they push air down, creating an area of low pressure above the blades and high pressure below. This pressure difference causes the water surface to deform, resulting in a depression or waves.

3. What factors affect the type of impact created by a helicopter on water?

The type of impact created by a helicopter on water can be affected by factors such as the helicopter's speed, altitude, and the characteristics of the water's surface. Additionally, the size and shape of the helicopter's rotor blades can also play a role in the type of impact created.

4. Are there any safety concerns related to helicopter wake impact on water?

Yes, there can be safety concerns related to helicopter wake impact on water, especially for smaller boats or vessels. The depression or waves created can cause instability and make it difficult for boats to navigate through the water. It is important for pilots to consider these factors and adjust their flight path accordingly.

5. Is there ongoing research on helicopter wake impact on water?

Yes, there is ongoing research on helicopter wake impact on water, particularly in the field of hydrodynamics. Scientists are studying the effects of different helicopter designs and flight patterns on the water's surface and how it can impact marine life and water transportation systems.