Laptop Problem - Compaq Presario 2100 Won't Boot

• Thread starter Hercule Poirot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a laptop that turns on and off without displaying anything on the screen. The person is wondering if it is a battery issue or something else. Other people suggest checking the connections and motherboard, as well as troubleshooting steps such as unplugging and restarting the laptop.
Hercule Poirot
simply put it, when trying to switch on my brother's laptop it would go on/off/on/off/on and then stays on but nothing appears on the screen (though we can hear the laptop humming :rofl: ), I am wondering if the batteries are simply to be replaced but probably there are other causes, one of you guys might help me in finding out the problem before I have to head of for the technician who's going to cost me $$$.

by the way it's a compaq presario 2100

thanks for your help

Computer science news on Phys.org
if you have it connected to the mains and it happens, then its not the batteries.

does it bleep or anything, or any screen flickering?

it still happens when connected to the mains, i just checked, so it's not the batteries

the screen doesn't turn on at all, nor do i hear any particular bleeps

anyone else has an idea

Dunno... Motherboard could have some problems... You say you arent seeing anything at all?

I'd open it up and check screen is adequetly connected to the video out on the motherboard.. Failling that I would suggest you get a tech to look at the screen, if you arent hearing any beeps, then my guess would be either the video card is acting up or the screen has gone...

Make sure it isn't hung up in standby mode. Unplug, pull the battery. Put the battery back in. Plug it in. Power it on. If the black screen hangs, hold the power button in until it shuts off. Then turn it back on and see what happens.

Well, I had an old laptop that did that (still does it)...I don't know anything about the guts of computers, but since it was beyond the warranty when it started, I decided to poke around inside it. Turns out that there's a card that has a tendency to ever so slightly pop out of its slot, and for some reason it did it every time the laptop was moved anywhere, so just opening it and checking that all the connections are tight might be a good place to start.

The only other time a laptop did that to me, both the motherboard and harddrive were fried (it was a shared lab computer and apparently the person who had borrowed it ahead of me was rather rough on it :bugeye:).

1. Why won't my Compaq Presario 2100 boot up?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a hardware failure, such as a faulty hard drive or motherboard, or a software issue, such as corrupted system files or a virus. It is best to troubleshoot the problem by checking the hardware components and running a virus scan.

2. How can I fix the "blue screen of death" on my Compaq Presario 2100?

The "blue screen of death" is a common error on Windows computers, including the Compaq Presario 2100. This can be caused by various issues, such as hardware failure, outdated drivers, or corrupted system files. You can try restarting your laptop, running a virus scan, or checking for updates to fix this issue.

3. Why is my Compaq Presario 2100 freezing or crashing frequently?

This could be due to a lack of memory or processing power, which can be caused by running too many programs at once or having too many files and programs stored on your laptop. You can try closing unnecessary programs, deleting unused files, and upgrading your RAM to improve the performance of your laptop.

4. How can I recover my data if my Compaq Presario 2100 won't boot?

If your laptop won't boot, you may still be able to recover your data by removing the hard drive and connecting it to another computer as an external drive. You can then transfer your files to the other computer before attempting to fix the issue on your Compaq Presario 2100.

5. How do I reset my Compaq Presario 2100 to factory settings?

To reset your Compaq Presario 2100 to factory settings, you will need to access the BIOS menu by pressing a specific key (usually F10 or F12) during startup. From there, you can choose the option to reset your laptop to its original factory settings. Keep in mind that this will erase all data and programs on your laptop, so be sure to back up any important files beforehand.