Are Iraqi Children Being Freed from Political Imprisonment by US Marines?

• News
  • Thread starter Alias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
It's hard to tell sometimes in here. alias-I've heard those numbers too. I've also heard that Saddam was only paying his soldiers $3 a month, so many of them have gone home. I have no idea how many that would be, though. So many unknowns. It's frustrating.In summary, 5th Marines entered the Baghdad suburbs where they were greeted enthusiastically by thousands of Iraqis. The Marines freed over 160 children from a nearby prison where they were being held for refusing to join Saddam's political party. Reports of Iraqi civilian casualties have varied, with the most accurate numbers still unknown. Estimates for Iraqi combatant casualties range from 10,000 to 300,000.
Alias
5th Marines enter Baghdad suburbs

WITH THE FIFTH MARINES, Iraq, April 8 (UPI) -- U.S. Marines rolled into northeastern suburbs of Baghdad Tuesday where thousands of cheering Iraqis yelled, "America, America, America," and "Bush, Bush, Bush." The Marines, led by Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, entered the area after fording a tributary of the Tigris River. Iraqis held up children, waved white flags and showed no hostile intent. The sincerity of their emotions was unquestionable. The crescendo of welcome increased as an Iraqi woman led the Marines to a children's prison where than more than 160 youngsters were freed.

I 'heard' that the reason they were imprisoned was because they refused to join some branch of Saddam's political party for youth. I also 'heard' that some had been in prison for as long as five years.

These are Iraqi children.

Physics news on Phys.org
No reply required.

Last edited by a moderator:
This quoted from cnn.com

"Iraq has not released details of military casualties. Abu Dhabi TV, quoting official Iraqi sources, reported that 1,252 civilians have been killed and 5,103 wounded. CNN cannot independently verify those figures."

These number seem to jive well with the following count...

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/bodycount.htm

And also the 120+ coalition casualties. You can see them here...

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/forces/casualties/index.html

Anyone seen estimates on the number of Iraqi combatant casualties?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Alias
These number seem to jive well with the following count...
One BIG problem with that site, Alias. Notice how the max and min mumbers are so close together (usually identical)? Thats because virtually *ALL* of the reports have one source: Iraqi state TV. And notice Iraqi state TV isn't listed as a news outlet.

I wonder: does Iraqi state tv differentiate between civilans killed by the coalition and civilians they killed themselves? Such as the civilians shelled and shot in Basra?

Also, that doesn't separate out government employees. I'm making an assumption here, but it would appear they are considered civilians. But a government employee (yes, even the janitor) is a combatant.

Russ, I agree you 100% about the iraqbodycount.net site. But I don't know about classifying govt employees as "combatants"... since I work for a state university, that would make me a combatant, too, wouldn't it? Hmm.

Well if those numbers are inflated, then the news is better. It still seems like relatively small numbers considering how much damage has been inflicted, and the goals of the operation.

Of course, I am not discounting ANY human loss. But as they say, "The needs of the many..."

not inflated, deflated.

Originally posted by kyleb
not inflated, deflated.

Well, I've been waiting on the Red Cross or some other legitimate organization to give an accurate number..you must have info others have yet to see. Care to share a link or reference?

BTW, Alias, no one seems to be speculating about Iraqi military casualties... I've been looking. Just from direct reports (X many killed in battle Y) I'd personally guess the number is 10,000 minimum, probably far higher.

Originally posted by damgo
But I don't know about classifying govt employees as "combatants"... since I work for a state university, that would make me a combatant, too, wouldn't it? Hmm.
No, AFAIK, state universities are only funded by the state, not run by it. Not sure though. Either way, they are not part of the command structure. Maybe I should qualify my statement: federal government employees.
not inflated, deflated.
You're not suggesting the Iraqis would UNDERstate the civilian casualty total, are you kyle?

damgo, I was thinking more on the order of 100,000-300,000 by now. Rumor has it we killed 250,000 in the first Gulf War.

Originally posted by kat
Well, I've been waiting on the Red Cross or some other legitimate organization to give an accurate number..you must have info others have yet to see. Care to share a link or reference?

oh no kat sorry, i was just reffering to damgo comment about classifying govt employees as "combatants"; i have no clue what a honest total would be.

Kyleb-Ah, ok, thanks.

What is the current state of Iraqi children in political imprisonment by US Marines?

The current state of Iraqi children in political imprisonment by US Marines is complex and constantly evolving. While some children have been freed from political imprisonment, others may still be detained. It is important to note that not all children in US Marine custody are necessarily political prisoners, as some may have been detained for criminal activity.

What is the reason for the imprisonment of Iraqi children by US Marines?

The reasons for the imprisonment of Iraqi children by US Marines vary. Some children may have been detained for suspected involvement in terrorist activities, while others may have been caught in the crossfire of military operations. Additionally, there have been reports of innocent children being mistakenly identified as combatants and subsequently detained.

How are Iraqi children being treated while in political imprisonment by US Marines?

The treatment of Iraqi children in political imprisonment by US Marines has been a subject of controversy. While the US military has stated that they adhere to international laws and standards of treatment for detainees, there have been reports of physical and psychological abuse towards children in custody. The conditions of detention facilities have also been questioned.

Are there efforts being made to release Iraqi children from political imprisonment by US Marines?

Yes, there have been efforts made to release Iraqi children from political imprisonment by US Marines. The US military has established a review process for determining the status of detainees, including children, and releasing those who are deemed to pose no further threat. Additionally, there have been advocacy and humanitarian efforts to secure the release of innocent children and improve their treatment while in custody.

What is being done to prevent the political imprisonment of Iraqi children by US Marines in the future?

There have been measures taken to prevent the political imprisonment of Iraqi children by US Marines in the future. This includes improving the screening and identification process for detainees, as well as implementing training and accountability measures for US military personnel. There have also been calls for more transparency and oversight in the detention and treatment of children by international organizations and human rights groups.

Back