Why do waves carry energy momentum?

In summary, waves carry energy and momentum because they are able to apply a force, requiring them to conserve momentum. This concept is known as wave-particle duality and is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics. The de Broglie hypothesis, which relates momentum to the wavelength of a particle, is part of the foundation of Schrodinger's equation and is necessary for its conclusions. However, it is also a classical phenomenon, as seen in examples like the motion of a yo-yo. Invoking quantum mechanics is unnecessary for understanding this concept, but it has been shown to accurately predict and account for real-world phenomena.
yavuznuri
Would you please tell me about why do waves carry energy momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because waves are able to apply a force. Thus they must carry momentum to ensure momentum is conserved.

Claude.

Think about dominoes for a bit, you'll get it.

Is that the matter force we should consider only or smt another..Or do anyone can explain this with maths...

In a mathematical view, it's just a postulation proposed by de Broglie. Later physical experiment had proved that wave could interact with particle and de Broglie's postulation accords with the basic conservation principles. It then became one of the cornerstones of quantum mechanics and works fairly well in predicting further phenomena.

In detail, according to the concept of wave-particle duality (mathematically this is justified by Fourier transformation), a wave should have momentum and energy which are the main properties of a particle, so that it can interact with particle like that in Compton scattering.

I thought this thread was about classical waves: water waves, sound waves, waves on a string, electromagnetic waves...

lets consider light waves my friend ..

My point is that it's just mathematical postulation. But it works well in accounting for the real-world phenomena. Like in the sun, the "light pressure", which is from the exchange of light's momentum, prevents it from collapse due to gravitation.

De Broglie hypothesised than momentum was related to the wavelength of a particle. He was by no means the first to apply the concept of momentum to waves.

Also, I don't know why you insist that it is "just mathematical postulation", the effect is quite physical and readily observable.

Claude.

If my knowledge is correct, the de Broglie hypothesis is part of the foundation of Schrodinger's equation. Logically, it is the cause of those "physical effect" via the Schrodinger's equation, but I think the original question of this thread is for the cause of this hypothesis, and that is just mathematical postulation that is necessary for its conclusions. We believe it is true not because we understand its cause but we have seen that its derivations fit well with our experience and we have been quite satisfied and not too stringent.

1) Yes- it's a consequence of conventional quantum mechanics. It doesn't require an extra postulate.

2) It's really due to the invariance of the wave-function to overall translation which can be shown to require that there exists a conserved quantity (which turns out to be the momentum) related to the FT of the wave-function.

3) It's not intuitively obvious that the quantum expression for the momentum should reduce to the classical expression (e.g. as hbar->0), but the math tells us this is so.

This isn't a complete answer. Maybe someone can come up with an intuitive (non mathematical) explanation connecting the classical and quantum expressions for momentum.

Waves carrying momentum is a classical phenomenon (in addition to a Quantum one). I can get the end of a yo-yo to jiggle around if I jiggle the string (i.e. transfer momentum via a wave) - and I can explain it all using Newtonian mechanics. In fact, this can be done for any classical wave by regarding change in momentum as the integral w.r.t time of impulse.

Long story short, if a wave applies a force over some finite length of time, it must carry momentum.

Invoking QM is therefore unnecessary in order to answer the OPs question and will only serve to confuse the issue.

Claude.

Claude: reviewing the replies it seems that it's not clear whether the OP was talking about QM or CM. I'm still not sure!

I don't think it helps much to criticize others answers for possibly missing the point.

After all, we're here to have fun!

christianjb said:
Claude: reviewing the replies it seems that it's not clear whether the OP was talking about QM or CM. I'm still not sure!
I agree, but then again most classical phenomena have a quantum equivalent, in most cases (especially if it is posted in the classical physics section) when someone posts a question about a phenomenon that can be discussed from a classical standpoint - Introducing QM into the picture is an unnecessary complication.
christianjb said:
I don't think it helps much to criticize others answers for possibly missing the point.
I agree that undue criticism is unwarranted, but by the same token, if something is posted that is wrong or misleading - it ought to be challenged.
christianjb said:
After all, we're here to have fun!
And learn too!

Claude.

1. Why do waves carry energy momentum?

Waves carry energy momentum because they are a result of a disturbance or vibration in a medium, which causes particles in the medium to oscillate. This oscillation transfers energy from one particle to another, creating a wave that carries energy and momentum as it propagates through the medium.

2. How is energy transferred through waves?

Energy is transferred through waves by the movement of particles in the medium. As the wave travels, particles in the medium oscillate back and forth, transferring energy to neighboring particles. This transfer of energy continues as the wave propagates, allowing it to carry energy over long distances.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy carried by a wave?

The amount of energy carried by a wave is affected by several factors, including the amplitude of the wave (the height of the wave), the frequency (the number of waves passing a point in a given time), and the medium through which the wave is traveling. In general, waves with higher amplitudes, frequencies, and velocities carry more energy.

4. Can waves lose energy as they travel?

Yes, waves can lose energy as they travel. This is known as wave attenuation, and it occurs as a result of various factors such as friction, absorption, and scattering. For example, sound waves can lose energy as they travel through air due to the absorption of sound energy by the surrounding air particles.

5. How is momentum related to the energy carried by waves?

Momentum and energy are closely related in waves. As a wave carries energy through a medium, it also carries momentum, which is a measure of the motion of the particles in the medium. The amount of momentum carried by a wave depends on the frequency, amplitude, and velocity of the wave.