Does the slash mean they have left the forum?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, the slash over a user's name on Physics Forums indicates that they have been banned. The type of ban is not specified and is kept between the banned user and the mentor involved. Users may also have a slash over their name if they have been "stroked out" due to requesting their account to be closed. Additionally, some users may have an "n/a" in their post count if they were part of another forum that was allowed to post on Physics Forums. The sci.physics.research Google group is not directly related to Physics Forums and users do not have to register with PF to post there. The sci.physics.research group has existed since before Google and is available on Google groups due to overlapping interests. Only banned members
Physics news on Phys.org
It means they're banned.

What kind of ban ?
rudinreader posted today at 14:17

RonL said:
What kind of ban ?

I don't know. Thats between rudinreader and the mentor involved.

RonL said:
What kind of ban ?
Then it stands to reason that he must have been banned some time after 14:17.

Sometimes you see the name, but it is not in bold like all the others and something like post count will be n/a is this somehow related to a ban aswell?

Also, sometimes instead of an avatar they will just have something in that gap that says for example "_Mayday_'s avatar"

_Mayday_ said:
Sometimes you see the name, but it is not in bold like all the others and something like post count will be n/a is this somehow related to a ban aswell?

When you register or change your e-mail you have to confirm the e-mail addresses existence and your name is not bold until you confirm it. Those with n/a in their post count were part of another forum that was allowed to post here I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, sometimes instead of an avatar they will just have something in that gap that says for example "_Mayday_'s avatar"

I'm guessing that's probably just people that have an avatar whose image is no longer hosted any more.

How can we tell if the ban is permanent or temporary?

Kurdt what do you mean another forum can post here?

Defennder I don't think you can actually, this forum is different to others where they talk abotu people bans, here it is kept between the mentor and the individual.

_Mayday_ said:
what do you mean another forum can post here?

sci.physics.research

I'm not sure about this, but I think that any ex-member is stroked through, whether banned or not. While I haven't checked, I suspect that the much loved Self Adjoint and Boulderhead, both deceased, are stroked out. Most of the time, the stroke means that someone was too stupid for his own good and got banned. We do have some members in good standing, such as the aforementioned, who are no longer here for other reasons.

George, is the sci.physics.research is a completely different forum? Why would that mean their posts were n/a?

_Mayday_ said:
George, is the sci.physics.research is a completely different forum? Why would that mean their posts were n/a?

sci.physics.research is a Google group, not a forum in Physics Forums, so a person doesn't have to register with PF to post on sci.physics.research, thus the n/a.

sci.physics.research existed long before Physics Forums existed. I used to spend a lot of time on sci.physics.research, but I haven't (much?) posted there since I started posting here.

It's available here because of the obvious overlapping interests.

Ah, thanks George never knew that!

RonL said:
What kind of ban ?
But you notice he hasn't posted since, that was his last post before being banned.

George Jones said:
sci.physics.research is a Google group. ... sci.physics.research existed long before Physics Forums existed.
Just to be pedantic, sci.physics.research existed long before Google existed. sci.physics.research is a Usenet newsgroup. The Usenet newsgroups date back to 1981. sci.physics did not exist back then; that had some other name. The current naming scheme dates bak to 1985. Google itself didn't even exist until 1998. "Google groups" are even later; they started in 2001 with Google's acquisition of Deja News. What about sci.physics.research? The earliest entry at Google groups is dated Feb 17 1993, eight years before Google groups came into being.

Danger said:
I'm not sure about this, but I think that any ex-member is stroked through, whether banned or not. While I haven't checked, I suspect that the much loved Self Adjoint and Boulderhead, both deceased, are stroked out. Most of the time, the stroke means that someone was too stupid for his own good and got banned. We do have some members in good standing, such as the aforementioned, who are no longer here for other reasons.
Only banned members have a line through their name.

Boulderhead's name is greyed out and his posts show N/A because boulderhead had requested his account closed before he left to die. :cry: It is a sign of a closed account.

SelfAdjoint's name is greyed out, but his posts remain active.

It's nice to know that there's a differentiation, and I'm sorry that I didn't notice it because I haven't run across threads that they last posted in. It would be unpleasant to think that someone new to the forums assumed that SA etc. had been banned when in fact they left through no fault of their own.

1. What does the slash symbol (/) mean?

The slash symbol (/) is known as a forward slash or a solidus. It is a punctuation mark used in writing and computing to indicate different things depending on context. It can represent division in mathematical equations, indicate a line break in writing, or be used as a separator in URLs or file paths.

2. What is the difference between a forward slash and a backslash?

A forward slash (/) is a punctuation mark that is usually used to separate words or characters, while a backslash (\) is used to indicate a file path or directory in computing. The main difference is that a forward slash is commonly used in writing, while a backslash is used in coding and computing.

3. How is the slash symbol (/) used in programming languages?

In programming languages, the slash symbol (/) is used in various ways depending on the language. In some languages, it is used to indicate division in mathematical equations. In others, it is used as a concatenation operator to combine strings. It can also be used as a comment indicator to add notes in the code without affecting its functionality.

4. What does the slash mean in a URL?

In a URL, the slash (/) is used as a separator to indicate different parts of the web address. It separates the protocol (http/https), the domain name, and the specific page or file within the domain. For example, in the URL https://www.example.com/page.html, the slash is used to separate the domain name and the specific page within the domain.

5. How is the slash used in literature or poetry?

In literature or poetry, the slash (/) is often used as a poetic device to indicate a line break or to show two different interpretations or meanings of a word or phrase. It can also be used to create ambiguity or tension in the text. Some poets also use the slash to indicate a pause or hesitation in the reader's interpretation of the poem.