Electric potential of four charges

In summary, the conversation discusses four charged spheres arranged as the four corners of a square and their movement away from each other. The potential energy and kinetic energy equations are used to calculate the speed of each sphere. However, the calculation in bold is found to be incorrect due to not accounting for the potential energy term from all four particles. Once corrected, the correct speed of each sphere is determined.
Metalsonic75
There are four spheres arranged as the four corners of a square, each sphere having a charge of 10 nC and separated from each other by a distance of 1 cm. The four 1.0 g spheres are released simultaneously and allowed to move away from each other. What is the speed of each sphere when they are very far apart? (see attached figure).

I know that for kinetic and potential energy deltaK = -deltaU
K_f - K_i = U_f - U_i
K_i = 0
U_f = 0

K_f = U_i

First I found the total potential energy of the system. U = (q_1*q_2*k)/r. Since all charges are the same, the interaction of any two charges is q^2 (where q^2 = 1*10^-16). The six interactions between the charges produce the following calculation for potential energy:
U = K { q^2/r + q^2/r + q^2/r +q^2/r + q^2/sqrt(2)r + q^2/sqrt(2)r }
U = K { 4q^2/r + 2q^2/sqrt(2)r) }
Plugging in 10^-8 for q, and 0.01 for r, gets
U = K (5.414*10^-14)
U = 0.000487

Since U_i = K_f,
0.000487 = 0.5mv^2
The mass of the spheres is 1g (0.001 kg)
0.973 = v^2
v = 0.987, which should be the final speed of each sphere. This is incorrect, though.

Could somebody please tell me where I went wrong? Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• knight_Figure_29_78.jpg
    knight_Figure_29_78.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,181
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Metalsonic75,

Metalsonic75 said:
Since U_i = K_f,
0.000487 = 0.5mv^2
The mass of the spheres is 1g (0.001 kg)
0.973 = v^2
v = 0.987, which should be the final speed of each sphere. This is incorrect, though.

Could somebody please tell me where I went wrong? Thank you for your time.

I can't see your attachment yet, but I think the equation in bold is incorrect; can you see why? Remember that the potential energy term on the left was from all four particles.

QUOTE: Remember that the potential energy term on the left was from all four particles.

Ah! Thank you! I now have the correct answer!

1. What is the definition of electric potential?

The electric potential at a point in space is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge that a test particle would have at that point.

2. How is electric potential calculated for four charges?

The electric potential at a point due to four charges can be calculated by using the formula V = kq/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the point to the charge.

3. Can the electric potential be negative?

Yes, the electric potential can be negative. This means that the electric potential energy of a test charge at that point would be negative, indicating that the charge would experience an attractive force.

4. How does the electric potential change with distance from a charge?

The electric potential decreases with distance from a charge. This is because the electric potential energy decreases as the distance between the charge and the test charge increases.

5. What is the unit for electric potential?

The unit for electric potential is volts (V). It is defined as one joule per coulomb, which represents the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge.