Which method of tanning is safer (cancer-wise)

• Medical
  • Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary: Sorry.In summary, there is no safe method of tanning, whether it is through natural sunlight exposure or through the use of tanning machines. The current thinking in the medical community is that "no tan is a safe tan." Overexposure to high energy UV or very high UV flux is unsafe and can lead to severe burns and increased risk of skin cancer. Biologic adaptation occurs more safely over longer periods of time, but it is important to know the limitations and not overexpose oneself. Additionally, lack of vitamin D can also be a serious problem when averaged over large populations.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I am curious as to which method of tanning is safer (cancer-wise). Either by sitting out in the sun a shorter period with the use of mirrors to concentrate the intensity of the sunlight hitting your skin, or being exposed for longer periods in the conventional way. Maybe even taking this to more of an extreme and tan for even longer in the earlier or later hours of the day when the sun isn't highest in the sky.

I've also noticed that you're less likely to peel if the sunlight is less intense over longer periods, but would this have the same effect as if we tanned for a much shorter period with higher intensities of UV?

Biology news on Phys.org

Mentallic said:
I am curious as to which method of tanning is safer (cancer-wise). Either by sitting out in the sun a shorter period with the use of mirrors to concentrate the intensity of the sunlight hitting your skin, or being exposed for longer periods in the conventional way. Maybe even taking this to more of an extreme and tan for even longer in the earlier or later hours of the day when the sun isn't highest in the sky.

I've also noticed that you're less likely to peel if the sunlight is less intense over longer periods, but would this have the same effect as if we tanned for a much shorter period with higher intensities of UV?

Generally any biologic adaptation occurs more safely over longer periods of time and the stimulus is progressive.

Exposure to high energy UV / or very high UV flux is unsafe. Even commercial apparatus used in cosmetic salons can cause severe burns on overexposure, although the energy of the radiation is in theory strictly controlled, and considered in the safe ranges.

The current thinking in the medical community on any tan, whether it is naturally or artificially induced, is that "no tan is a safe tan."

You can google the "no tan is a safe tan" phrase to get some popular journalism accounts or you can visit the American Academy of Dermatology website and their http://www.aad.org/media/background/press/PublicServiceAnnoucement.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

DanP said:
Generally any biologic adaptation occurs more safely over longer periods of time and the stimulus is progressive.
Thanks this is what I'm looking for. Can you possibly provide some evidence to support this claim?

Norman said:
The current thinking in the medical community on any tan, whether it is naturally or artificially induced, is that "no tan is a safe tan."
I was already aware of this, which is why I've asked which tanning method is safer :tongue:

It is safer if you know the limitation of using it but when you over exposure, it can cause skin cancer or complication. The best way when you get a tan (using tanning machines), you should know the limited time to be spend by that machines.

How are tanning machines the best way to get a tan?

Norman said:

You can google the "no tan is a safe tan" phrase to get some popular journalism accounts or you can visit the American Academy of Dermatology website and their http://www.aad.org/media/background/press/PublicServiceAnnoucement.html [Broken]

Some years ago Scientific American had an article about skin color versus sunlight exposure. They reported that in populations that had not migrated, skin color had adjusted to the optimum balance between the detrimental effects of sunlight such as skin cancer and the beneficial effects such as vitamin D production. It seems that lack of vitamin D can be as serious a problem as skin cancer when averaged over large populations.

Last edited by a moderator:

skeptic2 said:
Some years ago Scientific American had an article about skin color versus sunlight exposure. They reported that in populations that had not migrated, skin color had adjusted to the optimum balance between the detrimental effects of sunlight such as skin cancer and the beneficial effects such as vitamin D production. It seems that lack of vitamin D can be as serious a problem as skin cancer when averaged over large populations.

Very interesting. Thanks for the information. Do you remember off-hand if they actually discussed sun burns and the evolution of skin color? I will attempt to find the article on my own, I just wondered if you remembered.

1. What is the safest method of tanning?

The safest method of tanning, in terms of cancer risk, is avoiding tanning altogether. Tanning beds, sun lamps, and direct sunlight all emit harmful UV radiation that can increase the risk of skin cancer.

2. Is indoor tanning safer than outdoor tanning?

No, both indoor and outdoor tanning involve exposure to UV radiation. Indoor tanning may even be more dangerous because the UV radiation levels can be more intense and controlled.

3. What about self-tanning products?

Self-tanning products, such as lotions and sprays, do not involve UV radiation and are generally considered safe in terms of cancer risk. However, it is important to follow the instructions and avoid inhaling the products.

4. Are there any alternatives to traditional tanning methods?

Yes, there are alternatives to traditional tanning methods that do not involve UV exposure. These include using bronzing or self-tanning lotions, getting a spray tan, or using clothing and accessories to create the appearance of a tan.

5. What precautions can I take to minimize my risk of skin cancer while tanning?

If you choose to tan, it is important to take precautions to minimize your risk of skin cancer. This includes using sunscreen with at least SPF 30, limiting your tanning time, and avoiding tanning during peak hours when the sun's UV rays are strongest. It is also recommended to regularly check your skin for any changes or abnormalities and to visit a dermatologist for regular skin cancer screenings.