Gravitational Potential Energy (Multiple Choice Question)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the ranking of paths based on the corresponding changes in the gravitational potential energy of the rocket-moon system, with the highest change listed first. The options are A, B, C, and D, with different combinations of paths 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. The formula for gravitational potential energy is also mentioned. The speaker is unsure of the correct answer, but believes it may be A or B. They mention that A and B have different rankings for path 1 and that they are unsure why paths 2, 4, and 6 have the same energy in both options.
McAfee

Homework Statement

V63T8.jpg

Question:
Rank the paths according to the corresponding change in the gravitational potential energy of the rocket–moon system, greatest first.

A. 1 > 3 > 5 > 2 = 4 = 6
B. 2 = 4 = 6 > 5 > 3 > 1
C. 1 = 2 = 3 = 4 = 5 = 6
D. 1 > 2 = 4 = 6 > 3 > 5

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not understanding the question. I guess it would be A, but I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably "1>3" means orbit 1's energy is greater than orbit 3's energy.

Delphi51 said:
Probably "1>3" means orbit 1's energy is greater than orbit 3's energy.

Sorry I forgot to include the question.

That "changes" things! It must mean the change going from a to b. Potential energy only. Much easier. You will want to have your formula for grav potential energy handy.

Delphi51 said:
That "changes" things! It must mean the change going from a to b. Potential energy only. Much easier. You will want to have your formula for grav potential energy handy.

The formula is Grav potential energy= -GMm / r

I think the answer would be either A or B.

It seems clear to me you are misunderstanding something, but I'm not supposed to just tell you the answer. Can you explain your reasoning leading to A or B? They are rather different! A says path 1 has the highest change in PE while B says path 1 has the lowest change in PE. Both say 2, 4 and 6 have the same energy - why do you think that is true?

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move an object against the force of gravity.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What factors affect gravitational potential energy?

The factors that affect gravitational potential energy are the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object.

4. How does gravitational potential energy change with height?

Gravitational potential energy increases as the height of an object increases. This is because the higher an object is, the more potential energy it has due to its position in the gravitational field.

5. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are different forms of mechanical energy. As an object falls, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. At the bottom of the fall, all of the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.