Digital Scratch Pad for Math/Physics Students

In summary, there are not many good affordable digital options for scratch paper. Some tablets have limited features, but are not too expensive. You can also recycle old paper and glue-bound stationary.
daigo
I use a LOT of paper to do scratch work for school (math/physics especially). Instead of using so much paper, is there a digital version of paper where I can maybe use a stylus-type utencil as a digital writing tool for the "digital paper" and erase easily/prevent accidental erasures, maybe some undo functions and the ability to "scroll" to a larger sheet of paper? Something like an iPad might be too small but I've never owned one so I can't tell its size, but it's sure as heck expensive to use as just a digital scratch paper. Is there anything built specifically for mathematicians or students?

Computer science news on Phys.org
daigo said:
I use a LOT of paper to do scratch work for school (math/physics especially). Instead of using so much paper, is there a digital version of paper where I can maybe use a stylus-type utencil as a digital writing tool for the "digital paper" and erase easily/prevent accidental erasures, maybe some undo functions and the ability to "scroll" to a larger sheet of paper? Something like an iPad might be too small but I've never owned one so I can't tell its size, but it's sure as heck expensive to use as just a digital scratch paper. Is there anything built specifically for mathematicians or students?

You won't likely find many good cheap options. Tablets are not specializing yet because they are still new and companies want a broad market.

The Galaxy has a stylus and very good reviews
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00519RW1U/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I guess tablets are expensive because of all the extra features...I don't need any software/programs or internet/wifi on the thing, but if old school writing on looseleaf is still faster than this tablet thing, then I guess I'll stick to killing trees for now.

Boogie Board
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZE4TDI/?tag=pfamazon01-20
limited features... but not too expensive

I used to just go to the recycling bins around the printers / photocopiers at my school, grab a bunch of discarded single-sided print outs (or better yet, pages with pretty minimal printing), and then staple them together. Lots of offices also have old glue-bound stationary they'd be happy to part with, as do take-out restaurants. Once used up, I just dumped them back off in the recycling bins from whence they came. Good for your homework, good for your municipality and the environment!

1. What is a Digital Scratch Pad for Math/Physics Students?

A Digital Scratch Pad for Math/Physics Students is a digital tool that allows students to write, draw, and solve equations and problems related to math and physics. It is similar to a physical scratch pad, but in a digital format.

2. How does a Digital Scratch Pad help students with math and physics?

A Digital Scratch Pad provides students with a convenient and efficient way to solve equations and problems. It allows for quick erasing and editing, and it also has tools such as graphing and calculation functions to aid in problem solving.

3. Can a Digital Scratch Pad be used for both math and physics?

Yes, a Digital Scratch Pad can be used for both math and physics. It can handle a variety of equations and problems from both subjects, making it a versatile tool for students.

4. Is a Digital Scratch Pad user-friendly?

Yes, a Digital Scratch Pad is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. It typically has a simple interface and intuitive tools, making it accessible for students of all levels.

5. Are there any additional features or benefits of using a Digital Scratch Pad for math and physics?

Some Digital Scratch Pads may have additional features such as the ability to save and share work, or access to online resources and tutorials. It can also help students develop their digital skills and prepare them for using technology in their future studies or careers.