Practicality of Bio-Degradable Pots

• Thread starter PVastro
  • Start date
In summary, hemp would be a potential viable option for creating bio-degradable pots, although it may have shorter shelf life and be more expensive than other options. Other options to consider may be rayon, which may have some benefits, but may also be less sustainable.
PVastro
Hey all,
I have another horticulture question, this time concerning the practical use of bio-degradable pots. While plastic pots are very common and effective (due to the fact that they do not degrade, versatile options for shape/construction, ect.) yet they are petroleum based and with my focus towards sustainable/renewable Horticulture and Agriculture I am constantly trying to learn better ways to implement this into how we grow things. Bio-degradable pots are available (such as fiber pots made from coconut coir) yet the shelf life of them is relatively low, and cannot be reused for very long (if even after one season of use). I am wondering what naturally occurring fibers could be processed to a point to resemble the qualities of plastic (Long Shelf life/reusable).
The first thing that came to my mind was hemp, due to it being one the strongest naturally occurring fibers on the planet, and its speculated ability to be made into bio-degradable plastics. It also has a tendency to be the most water resistant of the natural fibers (main cause of degradation in fiber pots), and not to mention it is generally very easy to grow. My questions would be the following:

1) Is there a process already known to process hemp in a manner similar to what I am trying to obtain (If so what)?

2)Would this process be to expensive/energy intensive for it to be applied towards practical use?

3) Are there any other natural fibers that would be more suitable/ cost effective to try and create these bio-degradable pots?

Note: I am NOT posting this to discuss the semantics of the legal status of Cannabis (whether it be for medicinal or textile use) and I am only interested in if the qualities of the hemp grade plant would be suitable for for use as a reliable/durable Bio-Degradable Plastic (e.g. UV resistant, water resistant, weather, ect.)
I would greatly appreciate some input.
Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why not use rayon?

That could work I suppose, I don't know if its been processed as a bio-plastic before, and it has some of beneficial properties for what I am looking for (UV, and water resistance), although from what I've researched it supposedly decomposes faster than cotton, so I am not sure how it would hold up. Also another concern is that as far I understand how its make they use reprocessed cellulose mainly from trees which kind of cuts down on the sustainability focus I am leaning towards (trees take a lot longer to grow than something like hemp). Also the manufacturing process seems to be fairly complicated although i admittedly don't know how it compares with the processes hemp has to undertake to make it into a bio-plastic.If I said anything misleading or wrong please correct me, and if there are any other suggestions please let me know!

1. What are bio-degradable pots?

Bio-degradable pots are containers that are made from natural materials such as plant fibers, paper, or wood. These materials are able to break down and decompose over time, making them an environmentally-friendly alternative to traditional plastic pots.

2. How long does it take for bio-degradable pots to decompose?

The time it takes for bio-degradable pots to decompose can vary depending on the materials used and the conditions they are in. In general, it can take anywhere from a few months to a few years for these pots to fully break down.

3. Are bio-degradable pots as durable as plastic pots?

While bio-degradable pots may not be as durable as plastic pots, they are still able to hold and support plants for a significant amount of time. They are able to withstand normal watering and handling, but may not be suitable for long-term use or heavy plants.

4. Can bio-degradable pots be used for all types of plants?

Yes, bio-degradable pots can be used for a variety of plants, including both indoor and outdoor plants. However, it is important to consider the size and weight of the plant, as well as the expected lifespan of the pot, when choosing a bio-degradable pot for a specific plant.

5. What are the benefits of using bio-degradable pots?

The use of bio-degradable pots has several benefits. They are more environmentally-friendly than plastic pots, as they do not contribute to pollution and can be composted after use. They also promote healthier plant growth, as the pots allow for better aeration and drainage of the soil. Additionally, they can be a cost-effective option for gardeners, as they can be made at a lower cost and can be reused or composted instead of being thrown away after use.