Ideal Gas Law/Estimate of Cooling Power

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of using compressed air to freeze water. It is noted that most compressed air cans actually contain a pressurized liquid hydrocarbon, which boils and cools the remaining liquid as it escapes through the valve. The original question asks for a rough estimate of how much compressed air would be needed to freeze half of a liter of water, assuming perfect heat transfer and varying volume and pressure.
JeffEvarts
Oh you who are wise in the ways of Physics, I beg a moment of your time.

I've poked around wikipedia and found my way to PV=nRT and Thermal Mass and some other basics, and Googled "compressed air" "ice" "expansion" and similar, but can't quite find anything that helps me answer my question, so I have come back to my colleagues here at PhysicsForum.

We "all know" that if you take a can of compressed air (say, a keyboard de-duster) and spray it out slowly through a straw into a cup of water, ice will form.

As the air leaves the can, the pressure decreases to ambient (1atm), the volume of the bubbles increase as they pass upward through the water, and the air itself absorbs heat from the water to cover the difference. This thermal transfer takes place at some level off real-world efficiency, and the air will be slightly cooler than ambient air when the bubble bursts at the water's surface. Once enough heat has been removed from the water, ice begins to form. Also, as anyone who's done the experiment will attest, the can gets colder as well.

Suppose
  1. I have 1000L of air at a pressure of 1.09 atm, which is at 20°C.
  2. I allow this to bubble out of the tank (into the STP environment) through an expansion valve that is immersed in 1 liter of water which starts at 20°C.
  3. The thermal mass of air is approximately 1/4 that of water.
How do I figure out (even roughly, within an order of magnitude) how much air I will have to bubble in order to freeze (say) half of the water? Assumptions like "perfect heat transfer" are fine, as long as we state them clearly. Neither the volume nor the pressure in item 1 are sacrosanct. If it's easier to solve the problem with more/less volume or pressure, great. (Solving for 0L or 1atm doesn't count)

-Jeff Evarts

Physics news on Phys.org
You are misunderstanding what is going on. Most (all?) "compressed air" cans do not contain compressed air, they contain a pressurized liquid hydrocarbon - with some gas on top - similar to propane. When you open the valve on the can, the little bit of gaseous hydrocarbon comes out and the pressure drops in the can, causing the remaining liquid to boil. As the remaining liquid boils, its temperature drops until it reaches the boiling temperature of the hydrocarbon at the new, lower pressure.

So the water in your cup freezes not due to adiabatic expansion of air through a valve, but rather through the lost latent heat of vaporization of a boiling hydrocarbon.

Russ: Thank you for your reply.

OK, so the quick example I gave is bogus.

I think the question is still valid, though, right? If I keep bubbling a compressed gas through a volume of water, the temperature SHOULD drop until the water freezes, yes? If so, then I'm still interested in quantifying that process

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This law can be used to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions.

2. How is the Ideal Gas Law used to estimate cooling power?

The Ideal Gas Law can be used to estimate cooling power by rearranging the equation to solve for temperature (T). This allows us to calculate the change in temperature (ΔT) when the volume (V) and pressure (P) of a gas are known. The change in temperature can then be used to determine the cooling power of a gas in a specific system.

3. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the Ideal Gas Law under all conditions. It is assumed to have no volume and no intermolecular forces between its particles. In reality, no gas is truly ideal, but many gases behave closely to the predictions of the Ideal Gas Law at low pressures and high temperatures.

4. How does the Ideal Gas Law relate to real gases?

The Ideal Gas Law is an approximation that applies to real gases under certain conditions. In real gases, there are intermolecular forces and the volume of the gas particles is not negligible. However, at low pressures and high temperatures, the behavior of real gases can be closely approximated by the Ideal Gas Law. At higher pressures and lower temperatures, real gases deviate more significantly from the predictions of the law.

5. What is the significance of the gas constant (R) in the Ideal Gas Law?

The gas constant (R) in the Ideal Gas Law is a proportionality constant that relates the units of pressure, volume, number of moles, and temperature. Its value depends on the units being used, and it is used to convert between different units of measurement. It is a fundamental constant in thermodynamics and plays a crucial role in the calculations and predictions made using the Ideal Gas Law.