File income tax for past years?

In summary: It's okay, it happens.In summary, it is still possible to file a W-2 from 2007 for an income tax refund, but there is a three year statute of limitations. If it will decrease your tax liability, it may be too late, and if it will increase your tax liability, it is important to seek advice from a tax professional. Even if you were a dependent at the time, it is still recommended to file in order to avoid penalties and interest in the future. It is also important to consider state taxes and seek advice from a CPA. It is not possible to file separately if claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.
dipole
I have a W-2 from 2007 which I never filed for an income tax refund... is it still possible to file this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If this will decrease your tax liability (i.e. you will get a refund) it is too late. You have three years. If this will increase your tax liability, you need a tax professional pronto.

Even if it would reduce your tax liability, the penalty of not filing for three years may mean you owe. Either way, you're better off filing: The IRS is slow, but they'll eventually get you.

I agree with Russ. You can only evade the IRS for so long. Eventually they will want their money and you'll likely pay stiff interest penalties. Best to call up a CPA and find out what your options are.

If you live or work in a state with state tax, definitely seek advice, even if you don't owe the IRS, you may still owe state tax, and I hear the state tax auditors make the IRS look like your best friend.

I wouldn't owe them anything, but thanks for the advice. I was a dependent at the time, and I'm the one owed money, but I guess it's too late for that. Silly 17 year old me. :)

dipole said:
I wouldn't owe them anything, but thanks for the advice. I was a dependent at the time, and I'm the one owed money, but I guess it's too late for that. Silly 17 year old me. :)
If you were claimed as a dependant on your parent's return, you couldn't file separately anyway.

Borg said:
If you were claimed as a dependant on your parent's return, you couldn't file separately anyway.
This is not correct. He could file, he just couldn't claim himself as a dependent.

Jimmy Snyder said:
This is not correct. He could file, he just couldn't claim himself as a dependent.
Oops. :blushing:

You needn't be embarrassed, it's a common misspelling.

1. How far back can I file income tax for past years?

The deadline for filing income tax for past years is typically three years from the original due date. For example, for the 2020 tax year, the deadline to file would be April 15, 2024.

2. What happens if I miss the deadline to file income tax for past years?

If you miss the deadline to file income tax for past years, you may be subject to penalties and interest on any taxes owed. It is important to file as soon as possible to minimize any potential penalties.

3. Do I need to file income tax for past years if I did not earn any income?

Yes, you are still required to file income tax for past years even if you did not earn any income. You may be eligible for certain deductions or credits, and it is important to have a record of your tax history.

4. Can I e-file my income tax for past years?

No, e-filing is only available for current year tax returns. Past year tax returns must be filed by mail.

5. How do I obtain the necessary forms for filing income tax for past years?

You can download past year tax forms from the IRS website or request them by mail by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).