Projectile Motion of a Secondary Rocket in a Vertical Launch

• Thread starter Toranc3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discussed a rocket traveling vertically upward at a constant speed and launching a secondary rocket at an angle of 53 degrees above the horizontal. The horizontal and vertical components of the secondary rocket's velocity were calculated relative to the astronaut in the rocket and Mission Control on the ground. The equations used were Vy=Vosin(θ) and Vx=Vocos(θ). The conversation also discussed finding the initial speed and launch angle of the secondary rocket as measured by Mission Control, and the maximum height the secondary rocket reaches above the ground. The equation Vr2/e=Vr2/r1+Vr1/e was used to calculate these values.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

When it is 145 m above the ground, a rocket traveling vertically upward at a constant 8.50 m/s relative to the ground launches a secondary rocket at a speed of 12 m/s at an angle of 53 degrees above the horizontal, both quantities being measured by an astronaut sitting in the rocket. Air resistance is too small to worry about.

(a) Just as the secondary rocket is launched, what are the horizontal and vertical components of its velocity relative to (i) the astronaut sitting in the rocket and (ii) Mission Control on the ground?

(b) Find the initial speed and launch angle of the secondary rocket as measured by mission control.

(c) What maximum height above the ground does the secondary rocket reach?

Homework Equations

Vy=Vosin(θ)
Vx=Vocos(θ)

Vr2/e=Vr2/r1+Vr1/e

Vr2/e= velocity of rocket 2 relative to earth
Vr2/r1= velocity of rocket 2 relative to rocket 1
Vr1/e= velocity of rocket 1 relative to earth

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
i:
Vr2/r1-x= 12m/s*cos(53)=7.2217 m/s
Vr2/r1-y= 12m/s*sin(53)=9.5836 m/s

Vr2/e=vr2/r1 + vr1/e

ii: Vr2/e-y=vr2/r1-y + vr1/e-y
Vr2/3-y= 9.5836 m/s + 8.50m/s=18.0836m/s

Vr2/e-x=vr2/r1-x + vr1/e-x
vr2/e-x= 7.2217m/s + 0=7.2217m/s

Do I have part a right so far? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Toranc3 said:
Do I have part a right so far? thanks!
Looks good to me!

Doc Al said:
Looks good to me!

Thank you Doctor!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity, after being launched or thrown. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does a rocket use projectile motion?

A rocket uses projectile motion by launching vertically and then following a parabolic path as it ascends and descends through the air. This allows the rocket to cover a greater distance and reach a desired target.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a rocket?

The trajectory of a rocket is affected by its initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the height, distance, and speed of the rocket's flight.

4. How does air resistance impact a rocket's flight?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down a rocket and cause it to deviate from its intended path. This is why rockets are designed with aerodynamic shapes and use fins to minimize the effects of air resistance.

5. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the horizontal motion is constant and unaffected by gravity, while the vertical motion is influenced by the force of gravity. This results in a curved path rather than a straight line for the object's motion.