Is it okay to increase DC motor RPM by using higher voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a motor suitable for cutting carbon arrows for a project. The person found a small motor in a shop but its RPM is only 1650, while they need at least 8000 RPM. The possibility of increasing the motor's RPM by increasing voltage is considered, but it is deemed unsafe. The suggestion of using gears is mentioned but it is advised to look for alternative options such as junked treadmills or vacuum cleaner motors. Direct drive or an air motor are suggested as better alternatives to gears at high speeds. Other potential options include using a die grinder, small router, or even a blender.
Pysiek
Hello guys
I'm looking for a motor for my arrow saw project. I would like to use it to cut carbon arrows. Found one motor in the shop that is pretty small and will work perfectly with my jig. But it's rpm's are only 1650 and I need at least 8000 RPM. Is it possible to increase the motor RPM's by increasing voltage? Motor specs:
Voltage - 74 DC
RPM - 1650
Amps - .4
Hp - 1/75

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would expect that you can exceed the specs a bit (like 2000 instead of 1650), but I really doubt that you can get 8000 RPM directly from the motor - I will probably ruin the motor, and it can be dangerous for you as well. There is a good reason why the specifications do not quote a larger value.
Gears might work.

That's what I thought. Looks like I need to go out shopping :-)

Look for junked treadmills. I gave got several 6,000 RPM 90 volt DC motors out of them. They ran okay on full wave rectified housepower with no filter capacitor, which would be ~120 VDC unfiltered so probably puts the motor in your speed range . An ordinary lamp dimmer gave me speed control.

Another thought - Vacuum cleaner motors run in the 10,000 rpm range but are noisy. You'd have to put an enclosure around it.

Another possibility is a blender ( I broke my 1000W Ninja blender under warranty and got the motor out of it...) or look for a damaged drill or dremmel type tool.

Blender sounds good. I might even have one :-)

It is best to avoid gears at those speeds and use direct drive, or an air motor.
High RPM motors are long and thin. Slow speed motors are short and fat.
A die grinder might be a good solution. Also a small router.

1. Is it safe to increase the voltage of a DC motor?

Increasing the voltage of a DC motor can be potentially dangerous as it can lead to overheating and damage to the motor. It is important to carefully consider the motor's specifications and consult with a professional before making any changes.

2. Will increasing the voltage also increase the motor's speed?

Yes, increasing the voltage will increase the speed of the DC motor. This is because the voltage is directly proportional to the motor's speed. However, it is important to note that the motor's torque will also decrease as the speed increases.

3. How much should I increase the voltage to increase the motor's speed?

The amount of voltage increase needed to achieve a desired speed increase will vary depending on the motor's specifications. It is recommended to refer to the motor's datasheet or consult with a professional to determine the appropriate voltage increase.

4. Can increasing the voltage damage the motor?

Yes, increasing the voltage beyond the motor's recommended range can cause damage to the motor. This can result in overheating, reduced motor lifespan, and even motor failure.

5. Are there any benefits to increasing the motor's speed by increasing the voltage?

Increasing the motor's speed by using a higher voltage can provide benefits such as faster operation, increased efficiency, and improved performance in certain applications. However, it is important to consider the potential risks and consult with a professional before making any changes.