Real world problem, need help with KE problem

by WhiteHawk
Tags: real, world
WhiteHawk
Dec2-13, 04:21 PM
P: 10
What forum should I post this in, my friend died in a horrible car accident, some of us just want more answers I guess...

Object A is in straight line motion
Object B is static

Object A impacts Object B

Object A moves straight forward 60 m and rests
Object B moves straight forward 76 m and rests

Object A has a mass of 1,500 kg
Object B has a mass of 1,500 kg

What was the velocity of Object A when it impacted Object B?

To account for some rolling resistances, Object A was a car that rolled and tore up large patches of sod, Object B was a rectangular boulder that rolled ~20 times. I guesstimated 124 mph (see below), but I can't believe it (I feel like I missed a bunch of things or didn't draw the problem right).
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
jedishrfu
Dec2-13, 04:30 PM
P: 2,489
Are you sure the boulder is the same weight as the car. from your description it seems it is lighter.

On a pool table, when the cue ball strikes a stationary ball, the cue ball stops and the stationary ball continues with the same velocity unless the cue ball has some additional spin. In your case, after the collision both objects are moving forward.

I think you can solve it via conservation of momentum.
WhiteHawk
Dec2-13, 04:47 PM
P: 10
Quote Quote by jedishrfu View Post
Are you sure the boulder is the same weight as the car. from your description it seems it is lighter.

On a pool table, when the cue ball strikes a stationary ball, the cue ball stops and the stationary ball continues with the same velocity unless the cue ball has some additional spin. In your case, after the collision both objects are moving forward.
The boulder is about the volume of a fluffy lazy boy chair (minus the back). My landscape friend estimated that weighed 1.5-2 tons. Imagine literally, a car running directly into this boulder, transferring enough energy to launch the rock 62 meters (I just measured my stride, 737 mm x 84 strides), and keep enough energy to move / drag / roll the car 45 meters. I don't even know why I am doing this, I guess this is what a nerd does when his friend dies.

jedishrfu
Dec2-13, 05:56 PM
P: 2,489

Real world problem, need help with KE problem

Quote Quote by WhiteHawk View Post
The boulder is about the volume of a fluffy lazy boy chair (minus the back). My landscape friend estimated that weighed 1.5-2 tons. Imagine literally, a car running directly into this boulder, transferring enough energy to launch the rock 62 meters (I just measured my stride, 737 mm x 84 strides), and keep enough energy to move / drag / roll the car 45 meters. I don't even know why I am doing this, I guess this is what a nerd does when his friend dies.
What answer do you hope to get from this? I'm thinking that any calculation will be far off from reality. Are you trying to determine speed? is there some negligence involved?

Register to reply