Time vs Height of a freefalling object. Please help me

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking advice on their investigation involving the acceleration of a mass attached to ticker-tape. They had created a Time vs Height graph, but were confused about an anomalous first reading and the overall accuracy of their data collection methods. The expert suggested reexamining the data and plotting it correctly to address these concerns.
Harvey
Just a quick question to start. It's really urgent as has to be handed in tomorrow (Thursday).
I have conducted an investigation involving the acceleration of a mass attached to ticker-tape.
I have drawn a Time vs Height graph, which generally shows that as time doubles, height quadrouples as expected.
However, I am confused about my first reading. It seems anomolous, but both of two readings are almost the same, so surely not!
Here is the graph:
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/3083/scr3fn.gif
It's the first point in question. Why is the height so high? Is it because air resistance has not yet had effect? Or do you think it could have been a problem with the experiment setup (tickertape)?
Any input would be really, really appreciated - thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have more concerns for your data then just the first point. The way I have seen this experiment done is to drop the mass attached to the wax tape while a 60Hz spark marks the tape. The data consists of marks representing equal divisions of time separated by increasing distance. Your data appears to show equal increments in distance separated by a varying time interval?

You need to describe your data collection methods.

Re

Hello Integral, and thanks for your reply.

Yes, the ticker-timer marks the dots on the tape every 0.2s. However, the input variable for this investigation was height as oppose to time, so I measured the height along the ticker-tape.

I know by convention the input variable would be plotted along the x axis, but in this case I decided not to so the gradient could be used to find the acceleration.

I'm pretty sure now that the anomoly was just an anomoly, probably due to bad equipment or setup.

Thanks

Your data plot is incorrect. It does not reflect the .2s time increment. You have plotted a .2m increment in distance. I would recommend that you reexamin your data and attempt to plot it correctly.

1. How does time affect the height of a freefalling object?

As time passes, the height of a freefalling object will increase at a constant rate due to the acceleration of gravity. This means that the object will fall faster and cover more distance the longer it is in freefall.

2. Is the relationship between time and height linear for a freefalling object?

Yes, the relationship between time and height for a freefalling object is linear. This means that the height will increase or decrease at a constant rate for every unit of time that passes.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its freefall time and height?

The mass of an object does not affect its freefall time or height. In a vacuum, all objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate due to the acceleration of gravity. This is known as the principle of equivalence.

4. Can the height of a freefalling object be calculated using the time it has been falling?

Yes, the height of a freefalling object can be calculated using the equation h = 1/2gt^2, where h is the height in meters, g is the acceleration of gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds. This equation assumes that the object starts at rest and is in a vacuum.

5. How does air resistance affect the time and height of a freefalling object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, will cause a freefalling object to reach a terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity. This will result in a constant speed and no further increase in height. Therefore, air resistance will affect the time and height of a freefalling object by limiting its acceleration and ultimately its maximum height.