Proving Hölder Continuity of f(u)=-1/(1+u)^2

• Thread starter incognitO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the conversation is discussing the proof of the function f(u)=-1/(1+u)^2 being Hölder continuous for -1<u≤0. The conversation includes a discussion of bounding constants and the behavior of the bound when u_1 and u_0 are close to -1. The conversation also explores finding a bound depending on u_0 instead of a. Ultimately, it is determined that f(u) is in C^0,1 in the range -1<u_0,u_1≤0 but not uniformly Hölder. The conversation ends with a joking question about being failed by an analysis teacher.
incognitO
Hello guys, I am trying to prove that the function

[tex]f(u)=-\frac{1}{(1+u)^2}[/tex]
is Hölder continuous for [itex]-1<u \le 0[/itex] but I am stuck. Here is what I have done:

If [itex]|u_1-u_0| \le \delta[/itex] then

[tex]\left|-\frac{1}{(1+u_1)^2}+\frac{1}{(1+u_0)^2}\right| \le \left|\frac{(u_1+u_0)+2}{(1+u_1)^2(1+u_0)^2}\right||u_1-u_0| \le \frac{2|u_1-u_0|}{(1+u_1)^2(1+u_0)^2}[/tex]

and I don't know how to continue... Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]u_0[/itex] and [itex]u_1[/itex] are between -1 and 0, what can you say about the bounds on [itex]2/[(1+u_0)^2(1+u_1)]^2[/itex]?

I don't understand what you mean.

The worst behavior of the bound is when [itex]u_1[/itex] and [itex]u_0[/itex] are close to [itex]-1[/itex], but that should reflect in the bounding constant [itex]H(u_0)[/itex] right?

Let me put it this way (maybe I am saying stupid things but, that woulndt be new :P )

If [itex]-a <u \le 0 [/itex] and [itex] 0<a<1 [/itex], then

[tex]|f(u_1)-f(u_0)| \le \frac{2}{(1-a)^4}|u_1-u_0|[/tex]

so it is Hölder as long as I am far from [itex]-1[/itex] right?

Now, what i have to do is instead of finding a bound depending on [itex]a[/itex] is find a bound depending on [itex]u_0[/itex] right?

EDIT:

In fact,

[tex]|f(u_1)-f(u_0)| \le \frac{2}{(1-a)^3}|u_1-u_0|.[/tex]

Last edited:
How about this...

[tex]|f(u_1)-f(u_0)| \le H(u_0,u_1) |u_1-u_0| [/tex]

where

[tex]H(u_0,u_1)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc} \dfrac{2}{(1+u_0)^3} & \hbox{if} \quad u_0<u_1 \\ & \\ \dfrac{2}{(1+u_1)^3} & \hbox{if} \quad u_0>u_1 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

So [itex]f(u) \in C^{0,1}[/itex] in [itex]-1<u_0,u_1 \le 0[/itex], just not uniformly Hölder...

If you were my analysis teacher, would you flunk me?

Last edited:

1. What is Hölder continuity?

Hölder continuity is a concept in mathematics that describes the smoothness of a function. It measures how much a function's output values change when its input values are close to each other.

2. Why is proving Hölder continuity important?

Proving Hölder continuity is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It also helps us to compare different functions and determine which one is smoother.

3. What does it mean for a function to be Hölder continuous?

A function is Hölder continuous if there exists a positive real number, called the Hölder exponent, such that the difference between the function values at two points is bounded by a constant times the distance between the points raised to the power of the Hölder exponent.

4. How do you prove Hölder continuity of a function?

In order to prove Hölder continuity of a function, we need to find a suitable Hölder exponent and a corresponding constant that satisfies the definition of Hölder continuity. This can be done by using techniques such as the Mean Value Theorem and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.

5. What is the Hölder exponent for f(u)=-1/(1+u)^2?

The Hölder exponent for this function is 2, as the denominator of the function has a power of 2. This means that the function is Lipschitz continuous, which is a special case of Hölder continuity with a Hölder exponent of 1.