Wave dispertion related question

• Thread starter wormhole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a piece of glass and metal in a vacuum, where light incident on the metal surface causes it to appear red when viewed from that side and blue when viewed from the other side. The questions of explaining this phenomenon and estimating the width of the metal surface are raised, with the suggestion that it may be related to the photoelectric effect. The idea is that the metal reflects all red light due to its work function, while transmitting blue light onto the glass side.
wormhole
Hi

the problem i have sounds something like that:

there is a piece of glass with metal cover(on one side) in vacuum.
light incident on metal surface.
if you look at the glass from the metal surface side it appears red but when you look at it from other side it appears blue.
given wave length of red is 700nm and blue 500nm.

then there is two questions:
1. explain the phenomena
2. estimate metal surface width

i find it difficult to explain this phenomena...
right now my idea is that there is some cuttoff frequency(derived from dispersion relation) corresponding approximatly to red wavelength.. so that any light with wave length>~700 is reflected.
but i don't know what to say about the blue color on opposite side

can someone point me in the right direction?
thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Sound to me like the photoelectric effect. If the metal has a work function equal to the energy of a single blue photon, then it may transmit blue photons onto the glass side, while it will reflect all the red, less energetic, photons.

1. What is wave dispersion?

Wave dispersion is the process by which waves of different wavelengths travel at different speeds through a medium. This results in the separation of different wavelengths of a wave as they propagate through the medium.

2. What causes wave dispersion?

Wave dispersion is caused by the interaction of a wave with particles or structures in a medium. This interaction can cause the wave to slow down or change direction, resulting in the separation of different wavelengths.

3. How does wave dispersion affect wave behavior?

Wave dispersion can affect the behavior of waves in several ways. It can cause waves to spread out or become more concentrated, change the direction of wave propagation, and change the shape of a wave.

4. What are some examples of wave dispersion?

Wave dispersion can be observed in various natural phenomena, such as ocean waves, sound waves, and seismic waves. It is also used in technologies such as fiber optics and radio wave communication.

5. How is wave dispersion measured?

Wave dispersion can be measured using various techniques, including spectroscopy and interferometry. These methods allow scientists to analyze the behavior of waves and determine their dispersion properties.