Awestruck Astronauts: Overview Effect & Spiritual Experiences

• Thread starter RAD4921
  • Start date
In summary: I would imagine that as being pretty annoying.Yes, it can be very annoying to be constantly bombarded with cosmic rays while in space.
RAD4921
Has anyone ever heard of the "overview effect"? This is where astronauts have claimed to have had "spiritual experiences" or taken aback by the sight of the Earth from a perspective such as from the surface of the moon or spacewalks from the space shuttle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never heard it called by that name, but I've experienced it myself just looking at the pictures those astronauts took!

Some one wrote a book about it in the late 80's I recall. I haven't heard much about it sense.

pro'lly cosmic rays hitting too many synapses- a little astro-LSD- that is what happened to Edgar Mitchell

pro'lly cosmic rays hitting too many synapses

Do you have any evidence to back that up?

I know it is hard to sleep in space because cosmic rays will travel through your eye lids and hit the back of your eye ball and make you see little flashes of light. I would imagine that as being pretty annoying.

As far as these profound experences in space, it make be due to cosmic rays hitting the brain, but never-the-less, you have to admit that seeing the Earth in space is a just a jaw-dropping experence.

RAD4921 said:
Has anyone ever heard of the "overview effect"? This is where astronauts have claimed to have had "spiritual experiences" or taken aback by the sight of the Earth from a perspective such as from the surface of the moon or spacewalks from the space shuttle.
Yes, I have heard astronauts describe a profound sense of awe when looking back at the Earth from LEO or lunar orbit, or from the moon's surface.

setAI said:
pro'lly cosmic rays hitting too many synapses- a little astro-LSD- that is what happened to Edgar Mitchell
I have experienced something similar to this, where a "profound experience" caused me to feel that I was orbiting the Earth!
:cool:

1. What is the Overview Effect?

The Overview Effect is a term coined by author Frank White to describe the cognitive shift experienced by astronauts when viewing the Earth from space. It is a profound sense of awe and interconnectedness with the planet and its inhabitants.

2. How do astronauts describe the Overview Effect?

Astronauts often describe the Overview Effect as a life-changing experience, with many reporting feelings of transcendence, unity, and spiritual connectedness. They also describe a heightened awareness of the fragility and beauty of Earth.

3. What causes the Overview Effect?

The Overview Effect is caused by a combination of factors, including the unique perspective of seeing the Earth from space, the vastness of the universe, and the isolation and vulnerability experienced by astronauts during their missions.

4. Can the Overview Effect be recreated on Earth?

While the Overview Effect is most commonly experienced by astronauts in space, it can also be replicated on Earth through activities such as extreme sports, meditation, and psychedelic experiences. These activities can induce a similar sense of interconnectedness and transcendence.

5. What are the potential implications of the Overview Effect?

The Overview Effect has the potential to shift our perspective on global issues such as climate change, war, and poverty. It may also inspire individuals to lead more sustainable and compassionate lives and promote a greater sense of unity and collaboration towards a better future for humanity.