Well Defined Integrals: Proving and Evaluating with Domain Restrictions

• Thread starter jamesbob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of integrals and proving their well-definedness. The first integral (I) is defined between the values of 0 and 4, and although it can be shown to be well-defined, the exact value cannot be found. The second integral, defined between 0 and 1, can be solved but the reason for its well-definedness is unclear. A suggested substitution of x=4sin\theta is proposed for both integrals in part (a), but it is noted that this does not work for the second integral due to a mistake in the substitution of u.
jamesbob
Here iv to show that integrals are well defined and find their values:

[tex] a) I = \left\int_{0}{4} \frac{x - 1}{\sqrt{16 - x^2}}dx [/tex]

this one i can show its well defined ok (the domain will be positive as x will be between 0 and 4) but can't find the value. So far my work goes:

[tex] I = \int_{0}^{4} ( \frac{x}{\sqrt{16 - x^2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{16 - x^2}} [/tex]

I know the first part will be arcsin x/4 but i can't do the first part. I began doing substitution but wasn't sure:

[tex] u = 16 - x^2 \left \frac{du}{dx} = -2x \left So \left xdx = \frac{-du}{2} [/tex] so the intergral is
[tex] \frac{-1}{2} \int_{u = 16}^{u = 0} \frac{du}{\sqrt{16 - u^2}} [/tex]
I don't feel this is right. especially the limits i got, theyr impossible right? To get them i said:
[tex]u = 16 - x^2 \left So \left u = 16 - (0)^2 = 16 \left and \ u = 16 - 4^2 = 0 [/tex]

b) [tex]\int_{0}^{1} (lnx + 2)[/tex]
This one i can do but can't say why its well defined. Is it because the value of lnx will be 0 but the addition of 2 will keep keep it non-zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
jamesbob said:
Here iv to show that integrals are well defined and find their values:

[tex] a) I = \left\int_{0}{4} \frac{x - 1}{\sqrt{16 - x^2}}dx [/tex]

this one i can show its well defined ok (the domain will be positive as x will be between 0 and 4) but can't find the value. So far my work goes:

[tex] I = \int_{0}^{4} ( \frac{x}{\sqrt{16 - x^2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{16 - x^2}} [/tex]

I know the first part will be arcsin x/4 but i can't do the first part. I began doing substitution but wasn't sure:

[tex] u = 16 - x^2 \left \frac{du}{dx} = -2x \left So \left xdx = \frac{-du}{2} [/tex] so the intergral is
[tex] \frac{-1}{2} \int_{u = 16}^{u = 0} \frac{du}{\sqrt{16 - u^2}} [/tex]
I don't feel this is right. especially the limits i got, theyr impossible right? To get them i said:
[tex]u = 16 - x^2 \left So \left u = 16 - (0)^2 = 16 \left and \ u = 16 - 4^2 = 0 [/tex]

b) [tex]\int_{0}^{1} (lnx + 2)[/tex]
This one i can do but can't say why its well defined. Is it because the value of lnx will be 0 but the addition of 2 will keep keep it non-zero?

Try this substitution: [tex] x = 4sin\theta[/tex] for both integrals of part (a).

-LD

If u= 16- x2, then
[tex]\sqrt{16-x^2}[/tex]
is NOT
[tex]\sqrt{16- u^2}[/tex]
!

1. What is the definition of a well-defined integral?

A well-defined integral is a mathematical concept used to determine the area under a curve on a specific interval. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and involves summing infinitely many infinitesimal parts to find the total area.

2. How do you prove that an integral is well-defined?

To prove that an integral is well-defined, you must show that the function is continuous and bounded on the given interval. This ensures that the integral will have a finite value and will not be undefined or infinite.

3. What are some common domain restrictions when evaluating well-defined integrals?

Some common domain restrictions include discontinuities, vertical asymptotes, and points of inflection. These are points on the graph where the function is undefined or does not exist, and they can affect the value of the integral.

4. How can we evaluate a well-defined integral with domain restrictions?

To evaluate a well-defined integral with domain restrictions, we can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. These methods help us to manipulate the integrand and simplify the integral so that it can be solved.

5. What are some applications of well-defined integrals in science and engineering?

Well-defined integrals have many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and probabilities, as well as to solve differential equations and model real-world phenomena.