Colours & Psychology: Referrals & Publications Needed

• Medical
  • Thread starter Leopold Infeld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Psychology
In summary, Birren is an expert in the relation of colors and psychology who used his findings to defeat the Nazi push to dominate the world. He studied the hormonal responses to color and found that it could shrink tumors and heal broken bones.
Leopold Infeld
Can anyone refer me to some website where they mention something about the relation of colours and psychology? And if anyone also know about some publication on the subject, please tell me.

Very much appreciated for help out. :)

Biology news on Phys.org
i am also intereted in this item; the relation of colours and psychology.

Leopold Infeld said:
Can anyone refer me to some website where they mention something about the relation of colours and psychology? And if anyone also know about some publication on the subject, please tell me.

Very much appreciated for help out. :)

Faber Birren was one of the civilian contributors to the 2WW effort with his colour definitions for "stop" (red) "orange" (yield) and so on. He used colour to designate various cautionary notices in munitions factories where mostly women put together bombs and bombers etc...

His understanding of the psychology and therapeutic qualities of individual colours was instrumental in defeating the Nazi push to dominate the world and in developing a working model for traffic, construction and related signage.

He also studied the therapeutic effects of colour in illnesses and disease. A complete synopsis of his research can be found in his book,

"Color Psychology and Color Therapy".

Here's a site that goes further into depth about what I've mentioned. However, be warned, the author of the site has not followed any of the colour guidelines set by Faber Birren.

http://www.shibuya.com/garden/colorpsycho.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d be interested to hear of anything too. I have had trouble finding anything particularly recent. I agree with the recommendation of Faber Birren. Johannes Itten is a favourite of mine, athough I can see that his work is rather subjective and dated. Jung too, with his differentiation of personality aspects and related colours – thinking-blue and feeling-red, sensation-green and intuition-yellow. Christine Ladd Franklin’s colour theory is also interesting, as is Max Lusche’s personality test.
More recently, Rikard Kuller, Antonio F Torrice, who related colours to bodily systems, and Hiroshi Sasaki, who Quantumcarl linked to, are among the few whose work I’ve heard of.
Going off on a tangent, (ignore this if needs be) this paper is not really psychological, but the most novel thing I’ve read about colour in a while. Not understanding the ideas involved however, it could be rubbish and I’d be obliged if anyone versed in QFT were to tell me so!
http://www.marilia.unesp.br/atividades/extensao/revista/v3/artigo2.html

fi said:
I’d be interested to hear of anything too. I have had trouble finding anything particularly recent. I agree with the recommendation of Faber Birren. Johannes Itten is a favourite of mine, athough I can see that his work is rather subjective and dated. Jung too, with his differentiation of personality aspects and related colours – thinking-blue and feeling-red, sensation-green and intuition-yellow. Christine Ladd Franklin’s colour theory is also interesting, as is Max Lusche’s personality test.
More recently, Rikard Kuller, Antonio F Torrice, who related colours to bodily systems, and Hiroshi Sasaki, who Quantumcarl linked to, are among the few whose work I’ve heard of.
Going off on a tangent, (ignore this if needs be) this paper is not really psychological, but the most novel thing I’ve read about colour in a while. Not understanding the ideas involved however, it could be rubbish and I’d be obliged if anyone versed in QFT were to tell me so!
http://www.marilia.unesp.br/atividades/extensao/revista/v3/artigo2.html

To illustrate the extent to which Birren researched colour therapy and how he utilized earlier studies please read the book I mentioned. He studies the hormonal responses to colour in detail and produces results that are astounding with regard to activating and de-activating growth hormones. He's researched and witnessed colour therapy shrink tumours and heal broken bones with simple coloured light or pigments.

This research all took place in the fifties, after a tremendous amount of practical colour reasearch during the 2nd WW. But, you know, sometimes once something has been thoroughly developed as a research peice, you can't do much more. Take the safety pin for example... it remains unchanged and unimproved since its invention. In fact, Velcro hasn't changed much either since its accidental inception.

1. What is the relationship between colors and psychology?

The relationship between colors and psychology is a complex and widely studied topic. Colors have been found to have a significant impact on our emotions, thoughts, and behaviors. Different colors can evoke different emotions, and this can vary depending on cultural context and personal experiences. For example, red is often associated with passion and energy, while blue is linked to feelings of calm and serenity.

2. How can colors be used in psychological interventions?

Colors can be used in a variety of ways in psychological interventions. Some therapists may use color-based techniques, such as color therapy or chromotherapy, to help clients work through emotional issues and improve overall well-being. Colors can also be used in the design of therapeutic spaces, such as offices or hospitals, to create a calming or stimulating environment.

3. What are some common color associations in psychology?

There are many different color associations in psychology, and they can vary depending on the individual and context. Some common associations include: red for passion and energy, blue for calmness and trust, green for growth and health, yellow for happiness and optimism, and purple for creativity and spirituality.

4. Are there any specific colors that can elicit negative emotions?

Yes, certain colors have been found to elicit negative emotions in some individuals. For example, the color red can be associated with anger or danger, while yellow can be linked to anxiety or nervousness. It's important to note that these associations can vary greatly among individuals and cultures.

5. What are some recommended sources for further reading on colors and psychology?

There are many reputable sources for further reading on colors and psychology. Some recommended sources include academic journals such as the Journal of Environmental Psychology and the Journal of Color Studies, as well as books such as "The Psychology of Color: A Designer's Guide to Color Association and Meaning" by Karen Haller and "Color: An Introduction to Practice and Principles" by Marcie Cooperman.